Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When one jumped in my cart 馃槀

I swear I wasn't looking for a rod just checking out the interesting ones they had. When I came across a 10ft pro cat spinning rod (I definitely didn't need another 10ft spinning rod). Now I know it ain't top shelf but I really liked the action and feel of it. So my gear addiction kicked in and my feet had me at the cashier before I knew what was going on. I had a receipt in my hand when it dawned on me that I bought a new rod...I might need a 12 step program at this point 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Premium Member

I swear I wasn't looking for a rod just checking out the interesting ones they had. When I came across a 10ft pro cat spinning rod (I definitely didn't need another 10ft spinning rod). Now I know it ain't top shelf but I really liked the action and feel of it. So my gear addiction kicked in and my feet had me at the cashier before I knew what was going on. I had a receipt in my hand when it dawned on me that I bought a new rod...I might need a 12 step program at this point 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
Let's make sure Spokey's better half doesn't see the highlighted part of this post because I bet he really doesn't need another lump on his head either.

You know, "What goes on at Academy Sports Stays at Academy Sports. Or Cabalas Or Bass Pro. You get the idea. lol

Registered
You may have taken the first step by admitting you have a problem. :LOL: I did the same thing a couple months ago at Academy, bought a rod that I really didn't need because I liked the feel and color but I haven't yet admitted I have a problem so I am not even trying to overcome my addiction.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luckily my wife tolerates my only real vice 馃槀

Just because I admit my problem don't mean I'm gonna fix it...my buddy comes in from WA in a couple days and he wants to go the Springfield bass pro...I'm fairly certain the outlet will snatch some of my money on something else I don't need 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas

I resemble that.....:ROFLMAO:

Registered
spokey, at least you dont have it as bad as ramon has it. He is way up on you, and he isnt even in this country. Thankfully I have curved my addiction lately, but I cant hold it back much longer.
Please don't remind me been here 23 months, I have 22 rods with 3 more madkatz enroute . I was doing reel inventory the other day and I think my wife killed me in her mind with the facial expression I received hey at least one of the madkatz is a pink/purple rod for her. Now I just need to get my final piece, a Penn Slammer for my Orange Crush rod arriving today this is much better than drug and alcohol addiction, at least I tell myself that.
Product Gadget Technology Electronic device Room
Gadget Recreation Electronic device Electrical wiring Toy vehicle

Registered
Awesome pick up and now you can test it when your buddy arrives. 10' rod is next on my mind, I keep trying to convince myself I don't need one. Had (2) TWC extenders back in the day and sold them both because I never used them. But ya never know when you'll be bank fishing and need the length to get out to the channel.
When one jumped in my cart

I swear I wasn't looking for a rod just checking out the interesting ones they had. When I came across a 10ft pro cat spinning rod (I definitely didn't need another 10ft spinning rod). Now I know it ain't top shelf but I really liked the action and feel of it. So my gear addiction kicked in and my feet had me at the cashier before I knew what was going on. I had a receipt in my hand when it dawned on me that I bought a new rod...I might need a 12 step program at this point

Registered
Steven from Georgia
Once upon a time. One of my wifes friends asked her. You dont mind all the time and money he spends on hunting and fishing?

My wifes reply. Well his hobby's could be drinking and chasing woman.

Yes i have a good one. I let her know it too.

Registered
That happened to me in Hatteras last week... Went with the intention of getting a modest 10ft spinning combo... Came back with 2 new spinning rods, 2 12ft surf casting rods, and 3 new reels including a Battle III and Fathom II casting special :ROFLMAO: It was a bad relapse.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That pic looks like trip to the bass pro outlet for me Ramon (at least when the wife doesn't come along yo supervise me)馃ぃ

My wifes reply. Well his hobby's could be drinking and chasing woman.
I've heard my tell her friends that even if I'm gone all not she doesn't have worry about anything but me smelling like bait when I get home 馃槀

Registered
Woah we see you too have a problem lol nice pickups there
That happened to me in Hatteras last week... Went with the intention of getting a modest 10ft spinning combo... Came back with 2 new spinning rods, 2 12ft surf casting rods, and 3 new reels including a Battle III and Fathom II casting special It was a bad relapse.

Registered
I was getting ready for fall fishing and had all my cat rods and reels ready to go, and moved on to my two small spinning rods and reels. Both reels are over 50 years old, and the rods are just about the same. I noticed a large crack on one rod extending around the base where it joins to the handle, and the other rod had a split at the ferrule. It had also snapped near the tip many years ago and I repaired it and continued to use it. I decided it was time for two new rods and reels...hated to spend the money, but it is what it is. I only have enough rods and reels for my immediate fishing needs (unlike "The King of Tackle" Ramon) so I picked up two GX2's and two new Diawa Lagunas (nothing fancy but for limited use they will be ok).....I told the wifey about it and she said it was money well spent............I agreed and told her I could spend more money "well spent" if need be...she gave me "the look" and turned around and walked away.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those diawa laguna's are pretty good reels. I had a 3000 my beach rod back in Washington...I got 2 years and a ton of salmon off it before the salt finally got to it...might of lasted longer had I kept up the maintenance 馃槀

Registered
Thats good to know spokey. From What I could gather they were pretty well received and the reviews rated them highly. I have a Diawa BG 8000 on a 15 ft Big Water, and I really like it as well...simple and strong. I think that Diawa makes a good product, but, they will never get another dime from me...at my age, what I have should last me the rest of my life....I take good care of my stuff. I rarely use spinning reel/rods, but they are nice to have for some of the small lakes (and small channel cats) we have around here. I got the Laguna 5000 C...primarily for the line capacity, and can use them on my 10 ft Big Water, or even the 15 footer if the need arises. I will spool them both with 20 lb braid for the GX2's and add a 30lb shock leader for the Big Waters...that will be nice for some of the larger lakes around here...reach out and touch someone..or, touch something. Other than that my old Penn conventional reels are still my go to catfish reels. They can be bought cheap and last forever. Can also can be modified to cast a good distance when the need arises.

Registered
Dave from ohio
Lol. I think ramon is going to start his own bait and tackle when he gets back. people collect all kinds of things, I know I would much rather look at someones fishing gear collection, than a stamp, or coin collection. You can even use a gear collection, lets see you do that with those old 5 cent stamps.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts