So no on the baitcaster clicker? And what is a good set-up?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Wvawitrado, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    So you guys lean more towards no on the clicker...The cats that I fish hit hard real hard I usually dont even hookset...Im using trebles should I be using something else? Im trying to get a new combo with a baitcaster any suggestions? Also I am new to catfishing but I always set my drags loose and they take line in a quickness is that not the same as a bait clicker couldnt he still release the bait?:eek:oooh:

2. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    lose the trebles. they can really mess up a fish & they get hung on snags easily. i say circle hooks for sure if your on a boat with good rod holders.

and if your wanting a baitcaster. abu garcia has some really nice ones. go to walmart and check out the 6600 combos. i used to use the 65's when i fished tournaments & i loved them. and i plan on buying 5 or 6 6600's when i get the money. im gettin tired of the okuma spinnin reels haha

3. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    loose the treble hooks for sure i never even have much luck with them anyway and when it comes to your set up what exactly are you fishing for and are you boat or bank fishing river or lake there are several variables

4. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    I am from a pretty decent sized boat 18' I am getting rodholders today any tips? what size hooks and circle? baitclicker? loosen drag what technique? how much is a typical good set up?

5. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i bought the catfish ugly stick 7 ft m/h action and abu 6600 big game rocket from wally world for 110$ i think it is well enough for my needs. i set my drag a lil loose but not loose enough for them to melt my line when they run. i use 4/0 circles they work pretty good on all size fish cats any way and striper when im lucky :0a23:

oh yea if you havent used circles dont set the hook just let them load the pole and start reeling in
    also got the rod holders from wally world they work pretty good 12 bucks attwood

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Clickers do have a place. It is not every time you fish that the things hit like a run a way freight train. Sometimes it is real, real slow. If they load the rod, you'll probably catch them with circle hooks. If they just play with the bait, you have problems. The thing is, if you purchase your new bait casting reel with a clicker, it won't interfere with the operations of the reel and someday, you may just need to use a clicker feature. Hard to do if the reel don't have one. I always, and I realize its strictly personal preference, purchase reels with clickers.

7. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia

I have to agree 100% with this...if you need it, it's nice it is there...go with a clicker...

8. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I couldn't agree more. Better to have it and not use it than to want it and not have it. I fish both ways.

9. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    thanks guys I ended up going big with the shimano tekota 500 and a 7 6" ugly stick for like 200...I went in for rod holders and hooks right?.....Came out with a new rod and reel whole big spool of line and a new 55# thrust minn kota powerdrive v2 without any rodholders or hooks what a trip!!! lol but yeah im going for cats so whats the best universal hook?

10. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    :big_smile: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88447
    Told my lady friend this today... says that's why I'm not allowed in Bass Pro Shops alone :0a10:

11. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    wow that lightened up my day