So is liver Liver?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by justwannano, Mar 7, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So does it make a diffewrence what the liver comes from?
    I've used chicken liver before with good results and am wondering how good the pork liver I have in the freezer would work.
    Does other kinds of liver stay on the hook better than chicken liver?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've heard that pork liver stays on the hook better than chicken, but I've never used it. Seems to me that bait is all pork liver would be good for, but that's just my opinion. I think all liver will catch fish.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Pork or Beef liver will stay on the hook better than chicken liver. If you check the library you will see hundreds of threads on this very subject. I myself have never tried it, but after reading many of the threads, it seems to work for some and not so well for others.

I'd try putting it on a pole and fish chicken on another and see how the results turn out for you. Remember to keep everyone posted on how it works. Best of luck to ya.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have always caught good eaters on beef and Turkey! It stays on the hook much better than chicken. The bloodier the better!:0a26:

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Once when down to Santee Cooper and a local turned me on to pork liver. Worked great!
    I thought I had a "secret bait" to take back home and smoke my buddies on the Catfish.
    Wrong.

I could not get the Cats up here to touch it. Lake nor Rivers. No clue why, can't even make a good guess.

That has been years ago though, I may have to give it another try.

Anyone up this way do any good with it?

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have always had the best luck on chicken liver but I use it the most:tounge_out:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use chicken liver, but it dont stay on the hook good.

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Chicken livers are undoubtabley the bloodiest. But turkey and beef do stay on the hook better. Ive never tried pork liver, but Id be willing to learn!

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    beef and pork liver stay onthe hook great, but i've never caught as many fishas chicken liver.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've tried beef & pork liver, and neither worked as well as chicken liver; the pork was definitely more productive than the beef. You may want to try "curing" a small batch of chicken livers. Most folks seem to use salt & garlic to cure them, but other additives such as anise have been used successfully, too. A cured chicken liver will stay on a single hook without having to tie it on with anything. If you're looking for a pork bait that will really stay on the hook well, and work better than pork liver, try salt pork or bacon.

11. bowhuntinbubba

bowhuntinbubba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like chicken livers best .havent had any luck on cured livers around here.

12. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i have never had much luck on beef liver on a rod and reel. have caught some on trotlines with it, but it doesnt draw near the bite that chicken liver does. if you can get your chicken liver fresh instead of frozen, it will help it stay on a hook much better