So I e-mailed Jeremy Wade (River Monsters)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by JBrooks, Oct 23, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    And I finally got an e-mail back.
    We were talking in another thread (can't find it now) about getting someone to investigate these "monster" fish at the dams that tease us about the stories. Not to mention people constantly getting spooled there, and so on.

Pretty interesting..

"Hello James

Thanks for your mail, and apologies for not replying to the Facebook post. That page is actually not run by me, so I don't have any direct input.

I wonder if you've got a gulf sturgeon or two down there. An eight- or nine-foot sturgeon (around 300lb) could most certainly clear 300 yards of 80lb braid, unless you had a boat to follow it. But it would be more interesting if it was a cat! I hate to think what size it would be, to do that....

I'm hoping to come back to the US in 2011 to do some more fishing and filming, and I'll definitely put this on the file of things to consider, although sadly time will be more limited than I would like it to be. Depending on time and itinerary, I might be back in touch nearer the time....

Yes, goonch definitely are something special. They are in very few waters and are very fickle feeders. So you've got to fish strong but sensitive, and not braid because of the rocks. It was definitely an all-time highlight to manage to catch a big one on camera -- if only we could be that lucky all the time!

All best wishes and tight lines.

Let me know if you solve the mystery before I get out there.

Jeremy"

On 20 Oct 2009, at 19:26, James Brooks wrote:

I recently left this post on your Facebook, but I am so intrigued to tell you about it - I'd figured I'd go ahead and e-mail you here.

I'm an amateur angler on the Ohio River, amongst many of us. We spend most of our time fishing for flathead and blue catfish. This river is a great fishery for these particular species. There has been a story going around for quite some time that there are monster catfish residing near our dams that easily exceed 150 pounds in these species. You and I both know that is a tremendous feat to reach for these species, not to mention a new world record for both of them.

There has been plenty of stories of catfish the size of VW Beetles, buses, so on. People have even been spooled at these locations, totally incapable of turning the fish around.

Not to mention, I think doing something as local as this would really help the sport of catfishing. And I know of several people who would like to have this answered, what kind of fish is doing this to us.

Please let me know what you think. I think it's great what you're doing with the show, it's definitely my favorite fishing type show that is out there. I'd really like to get put onto a goonch catfish sometime in my life!

Thanks for reading,
    James Brooks

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wouldn't that be neat! We all wonder about what lurks below the boat in the dark murky waters! Whats down there really!!!!??? BOO!:wink: Reps to ya! Would make for an interesting show! rollo

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    reps brotha! way to go to the source and actually get a response

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    we all need to email maybe he will get the point , good job and reps to you

5. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I love it! You even put in the VW beetle comparison....:wink:

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wonder if hes related to Ohios own Randy Wade? (Luckey Wade) They do look alike! Maybe? LOL!

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The stories that we've all heard are known as urban legends. I've heard it in most states that I've been in and every dam in Ohio that I've ever been to. They all go...."There was this guy...... Huge fish..... diving down looking at the base of the dam...... scared him so bad he vowed never to go back...know it was true cause a friend of a friend..."

Heck in my waters you'd never see em' it's so murky! :wink:

8. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Hey reps to you on this. I would love to see a show on this. Even cool that you got a reply back from him.

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks maybe one day we all will see.Why dont the boc all go fish a damm for a month . we could flim it then answer the ? Hes really my brother Kip.Just dont want all the fame.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that was very cool that ya got a response, i'm sure they get alot of e-mails and different ideas and to get a response back is impressive, maybe he'll find some monster gar or even a sturgeon like he said, i still think its nessy :smile2:

11. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think the guy is cool but I can't fathom why he tries to catch everything with dead bait, at least in the few episodes I have seen.

12. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great idea James! I hope something can come of this to get a few answers. It says alot about Mr. Wade that he took the time to respond to your Email.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great Job James. What dams are going to be on your list to pick from? Reps.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Not too sure, seeing as the story spreads to just about every dam on any major river system in the United States. :smile2: Although, I'd really like to see the Ohio and Mississippi covered due to their historical relevance. There's documented accounts of monstrous catches back in the old days, on both rivers.

Thanks for the good words, guys. I'm just a very curious individual.
    I honestly didn't expect an e-mail back, and it's really exciting to hear from him. It's even better knowing that he will be recording in the USA for the 2011 season. That probably means he'll be filming for it in 2010. Maybe he'll run into some of you guys on the river? :tounge_out: