So I bought a boat....

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by here2learn, Jul 21, 2009.

1. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's my first boat. It's a 16 foot Jon semi-V with a 10 horse Johnson outboard. It has two livewells(which I'll just use for bait), a 4 speed trolling motor with foot control and 4 swivel seats. It's also decked(I think the previous owner was a bass fisher). It has everything to make it legal in KS, but I was wondering if some of you had some tips? Is this enough boat(or motor) for the Kaw? Are there things you might recommend that I add? Things I should always have onboard each time I go out? Any driving tips? Like I said, I've never had a boat before, so this is all new to me. Any input is appreciated!

2. zacat

zacat New Member

State:
    El Dorado, kansas
    sounds like a fine boat bud, dose it have rod holders?

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    me & my brother have a 16 ft. jon with a 9.9 johnson that we run all over the Kaw. we dont go up river in a hurry but we get there. i think you'll be fine. throw some rod holders on it and git r dun !!

4. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is great news! I'm going to take it to Clinton this weekend to get comfortable driving it, and the river is next! It has 3 plastic rod holders, and I figured we'd use them until they break, then figure something else out. Thanks man.

5. brownie

brownie Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Congrats on your purchase of the boat. Hope it gives you years of enjoyment. Rodholders are a top priority. Also a small box of tools, motor supplies (spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel line clamps and etc.), fuses and the like. As I got into fishing at night I added a good, powerful spotlight that connects straight to a twelve volt source with extra lightbulbs and a blacklight to see my rods. Each time of day and the areas we fish seem to have different requirements and you'll figure it out. That's part of the fun this gives us.

6. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Congratulation's on the boat, I'm sure you'll get many years of pleasure from it. Remember..... the most important thing about fishing is not how the fish are caught, it's how you get the fish away from the bear.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on the new boat and a hearty welcome to the BOC to all of you new guys. I'm still a neophyte myself but you couldn't have found a better site to learn the "art" of catfishing. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!

8. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congratulations! Your fishing will never be the same. Maybe smart to start on a smaller lake til you learn how it handles. Life jackets are kinda neat too, my fine for not having one was $135.00...that's per person.
    I have been on the Kaw, both Eudora and Kaw Point, in a 14' jon with 15HP.
    River Suggestions...
    Take a dry run during the daylight, just drive don't fish, look for places you'd like to fish and pay attention to where you're driving so you can duplicate the route at night. Traveling upstream from the put-in means you may be able to drift back towards your vehicle if something important breaks.....major league bummer. Drive slow and remember the deeper water is on the outside of the bends. Do not "sideways double anchor" on the river until you know exactly what you're doing. Not trying to scare you, but the river usually wins.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I would like to toss this in the mix!! Safety items.

Life jackets
    Fire extinguisher
    Whistle
    Flotation Device
    Rope

Good luck on the new ride. Sounds like a nice setup!!

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Take a boater safety course. That will get you headed in the right direction.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I think JJ gives lessons for free on weekends.....:smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    All good info here.

If you're in need of an anchor, I have an extra one that I'd be willing to sell. I had them made (no welding/cutting abilities for this guy :embarassed:) and the anchors are absolutely incredible. I was able to hold my 17 ft boat perfectly still in a spillway no problem at all with it. They hold great on the muddy/sand bottom of the Kaw bc of their design.
    I attached a picture, let me know if your in need.

Another thing I did on my boat was add 2 KC lights to the front of it (wal mart knock offs). Cost about $25 each, and then another $10 in wiring,etc. Its not ENTIRELY legal, but just dont use them on lakes and just use em on the river at night and I doubt you'll ever have any problems. They're a lifesaver when your driving at night by yourself.

Attached Files:

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I might suggest a smaller lake before you do Clinton maybe Lone Star. Clinton can get nasty fast if the wind picks up.

Kevin I like the lights reminds me of someone else on here that would look like a MAC truck coming across the water. Also nice picture of the Wakie parking area.

14. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    The two happiest days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

That being said, I'm in the market for a 14-footer myself. :smile2:

enjoy the boat!

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mark mentioned it, I believe the most important thing is a Life Jacket. Especially for a beginner. No disrespect, im a beginner to with boats.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Its mandatory in kansas to do so if born before xxxx :confused2:

17. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I definitely have the lifejackets covered. I took it out to Douglas County lake in Baldwin today and tried it out. Everything works, and it's actually quite easy, at least on a small calm lake like that. Trying Clinton on Saturday evening. Made some Katbobbers and we're gonna try for some flatties on the Northwest side.

18. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Is Douglas lake full again? Did you all catch any fish? Is the Marina still there? Thanks, Ron

19. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No marina. It is full, the depth finder said 30 ft by the dam. LOTS of fish on the finder. I didn't take any tackle, so I could concentrate on the boat. Not a bad little lake.

20. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

:eek:oooh::smile2::cool2:

Congrats on the new boat. You'll love it.