so, hows powerton powerplant lake fishing like.....

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by TEAM CATTER, Jan 15, 2008.

1. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i been looking at the map and seen powerton lake . i was wondering hows the cat fishing up there? thanks

2. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL

3. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    powerton is a good place for catfishing
    right now is the time to hit the hot water discharge for monster flatheads

4. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you been there recently stick? I am wanting to go one of these weekends, but trying to get some other things done is keeping me from it. I haven't been there in quite a while. Do they allow me to bring my own bullheads for bait?

5. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    site Office 309-968-7135
    - - WINTER HOURS 8am - 4pm - -
    - - - POWERTON LAKE is Open but the Discharge Is Closed for Levee Repairs until further notice..
    - - The LAKE Will NOT RE-OPEN TO BOAT FISHING on Feb. 15, 2008 and Will Remain CLOSED TO BOATS Till Further Notice- -
    :sad2:
    --- If you have watched the news - Last year IDNR stocked 45,000 smallmouth fry, 300 breeder smallmouths over 17 inches, 7,500 largemouth fingerlings of 4.5 inches and 150,000 redear sunfish fingerlings. And there is a plan to possibly stock Powerton with hybrid striped bass soon.

i pretty sure you can but most everybody uses gills and shad

6. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ive never been there but i read about it in the newspaper quite often. People get out there early in the morning so they can get a good place close to the hot water discharge. I guess alot of people go out there and fish for flatheads. Now that you cant fish by the discharge, because its under repair, i dont know what they do. Ive seen pictures of several 50+ pound cats pulled out of there. Theres flatheads and blues. Dnr are predicting it to hold record size fish in a few years.They have been growing very rapidly. I was reading about it on the internet if i find the site i read it on ill post it.

They catch the big flatheads on live bluegill.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the discharge area was always full of dead carp and fiddlers when i went. made me sick. i wont go back untill they open to boats so i dont have to sit next to dead fish.

i seen a 21lb blue caught on a nightcrawler there. ive never caught anything there but 8"fiddlers. shad are very hard to get bigger than 1". they get mushy fast. take some good bait or shad from somewhere else.

8. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    still no word on when the levees will be repaired:sad2:

9. catfish ted

catfish ted New Member

State:
    Cantrall, Illinois
    I've fished there a few times, and have caught several nice blue cats there. Had really good luck last April, not as good in August. Channels we caught were mostly under a pound. Blues, however were between 3 and 7 pounds. Caught most on livers, followed by shad, then dip bait. Catfish limit was 6 per person last year.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome Aboard Ted!

11. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    just read on prarie state outdoors that bank fishing at the hot water discharge is allowed when workers are not present... so i assume that means only on weekends???