So did anyone have a good weekend fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ssskinner27, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I went out and the fish were biting well channel catfish were anyway. But I missed them like an idiot my buddy and I walked away for 5 min so I loosened up my drag on my rod and forgot when I got back and I got a huge hit and when I went to set it I really looked stupid.:embarassed: I take a little stick and put a slice in it and stick it on my line about 4 feet out and then pull it down a little so when a fish hits it pulls up and it is very sensitive for fish hits. Anyone every try this?

2. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i don't need to. i've got a penn live liner. never have to worry about my main drag being too tight as i flip a lever and it's in free spool. best spinning reel i ever bought.
    now i've heard of people laying a small rock over their line, with the bail open,and placing a soda or beer can filled with some pebbles. fish runs off with the bait pulls line out from the rock and can goes flying alerting you to a fish. works pretty good at night time.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I doubt there's channel cats up my way.

I'm envious of all the reports about catching channels recently... Is anyone catching channels on the lower/middle alleghany?

I was thinking of coming down perhaps Monday night the 16th. I have to go on 3rd shift the 17th and thus need to stay up that night anyway. Where would I look? real deep, rocks, power plants?? Templeton has a large electric plant and a plume of warm water (I'm not sure if its accessible from the shore).

------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer randy's question, yes I have tried cans, stones, and sticks for strike indicators... the niftiest solution is a bobber- rigged so its stays open but Annoyingly many bobbers aren't designed to easily stay open and if a large fish can't jar the bobber shut; the bobber will catch the line, jam in the rod eyes and lose your fish. Clip-on bells are another solution, but they can be a problem when you get a lot of tentative bites (and need to strike quickly).

so far light sticks seem the best solution.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Fished 2 days, didn't catch anything big.well I didn't catch any on rod, had a friend from SC fishing with me so I left him do all the hard work of reeling. Biggest blue on rod was 38#.Got a 43# in the gill net, but that was only a byproduct, was going for shad. It was good to get back out on the water though, spring isn't far off.

Going for channels friday and saturday, locally.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Walleyes, striped bass, hybrid striper, and gizzard shad were at the end of my line this weekend!:embarassed:

6. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey bud I was fishing about 20 yards up a big creek that flows into the Juniata river I wont miss them next time.