SO darn dry

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by south_va_fisherman, Jul 7, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    it hasnt rained here in over a month and our garden is dead. 1 acre garden and only 4 green peppers, 12 corn stalks, and some cherry tomatos are growing. The garden is too far from the house to water with a hose. Its maybe 600 yards. thats a lot of hose! we bought a plastic kiddie pool and put it in the back of my pickup and fill that with water and use buckets to water the plants, but that got old fast and didnt do much because we needed way more water. Looks like no home grown vegies this year. Anyone having some luck?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I feel for you Charles it sux to spend all that time and energy on a garden and loose it ,Mine is doing fair [its close enough to the house to water ] but my water bill is getting higher each month .

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here in Northwest Louisiana, we've had the opposite problem. We've had so much rain in the past week, it's been unbelievable! And before that, we were getting showers every other day or so. My little flower bed has gotten so soggy that once the sun came out, everything looked like it was wilting! Can't mow right now because of all the standing water.....and HUMID!!:crazy:
    I hate to hear you're having such a drought; sure wish we could send you some of this wet weather. Looks like we're beginning to come out of it, though. The sun was out almost all day today.
    The Red River is waaayyy up right now; and full of logs & debris. All of our public boat launches are closed right now. You can only go out of some of the private owned landings. It's really been dangerous, but I think it's supposed to crest soon, & start falling.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im having the same luck, first time ever I believe I wont have homegrown tomatoes. The store ones dont even come close. Ive had a few jalapeno peppers but the eggplants, okra, tomato's and squash are dead. Ill have a few corn stalks and the only plant that really looks good is the cantaloupe.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Forgot to mention I put a garden out for my grandparents. The last few years the garden has stunk there so I bought some soil and pots and put their garden in pots. So far they look really good, everything is producing. I put some corn in the dirt but its dying, not enough water I guess.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know y'all don't want to hear this, but......It's raining again!!!!

7. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is the same thing i did , i have 4 tomatoe plant and one planter with leaf lettuce and they look like they are going to do real good. Some of the tomatoes are getting ready to turn.

Usually i did at least 12 tomotoes in the garden with some cucumbers. but just did not have the time to take care of it this year so it turn out the pots were a real good idea for me. Also i think there might be something with the pots sitting on the patio concrete it holds the heat more or something.