So confused! Help?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kat buster, Jan 6, 2007.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Ok I am looking to buy a abu garica 6500 or 7000. I want the newest model. But there are so many different variations of these. Theres the c3, the er, big game, beach/boat wreck, multipler sea, and etc. will some one please help me out on which one to pick?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    D.J.
    The 6500C3 is a great all around reel and will serve you well. The 6600C4 is the 4 bearing version and is silky smooth.
    If your gear is on the heavier side go with the 7000. The new 7000iC3 is an awesome reel but pricey at $129. The lower priced 7000's have bushings instead of bearings but are still good reels if $$ are a consideration...W

3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The 6500c3 is a classic reel. Very proven.

I use a 5600 reel. It's smaller than the 6500 series, but very similar in terms of gearing and features.

I'm not sure - are some of the newer abu reels going to be made in china? If so, I'd look for the made in sweden models.

Shawn

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    D.J. by looking at your picture and occupation, I trust that you are just on the beginning stages of the catfishing trail. To be truthfull about the matter, there is "NO BEST" in the reels you've mentioned. Rest assured that any abu or penn product you buy will faithfully reward you with faithful performance - providing you provide the maintenance required by these tools. I don't think it hardly matters which model you choose - they are all very good. I have an Abu5000 I bought in 1963. Just put new line on it last Tuesday. Still use that reel, as you will if you take care of your equipment. Buy what you can afford. You still have years and years of fishing ahead to upgrade your choices in reels, and you will do that, believe men. I must have 15 or 20 abu reels, and won't get rid of one of them. They all have their uses. Just enjoy fishing. The rest takes care of itself.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    D.J. If you mostly fish channels go with a 6500. Either a C3 or a Trophy Collection. The TC costs more but it is a smooth reel. Plus it already comes with the power handel like the 7000's.

If you are going to target flatheads or want to in the future get a 7000. I have CL and salt water big game reels. Love them, smooth and can cast heavy weights and baits no problem.

6. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I bought two 6500's two years ago. Mainly used them for bank fishing and drifting flats. I really like the size and how they feel. They are good reels and should last a long time.

7. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    if you want a good all around reel, i would go with the 6500c4, but if you want something cheaper, look for a penn 203, or a 320gto

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the newest 6500 is the 6500c3 classic, the newest 7000's are the 7000c3i the big games that end in i are new. all the reels that say Ambassadeur C3 Classic Round Baitcast Reels all the NEW abu's classic, i's have carbon matrix drag. the beach wreckmultipler ect is just how they are described overseas on ebay.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    If you could Id purchase the abu 6500 and the 7000 any model of each will serve you well.

Wheelmobile07

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would either get a Abu 6000 or 6500, I have the Abu 6000 and I like my.