So close...but yet so far away.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Capt_Culver, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Have never caught a big flat head and I have been trying all summer. Last night was my closest attempt.

Went out to Buckeye Lake early in the day to round up some shad....and I hit the motherload. Didn't take me very long to get a bucket full. Pulled the boat out and went to pick up some friends and we headed down to the river. Got on the water around 5:00. Nothing was biting until sun down. Moved to a new spot on the river and within 5 mins of my cast (30 minutes after sun down) I landed a nice 7 lb channel. About 1 hour later, another guy in my boat caught a 4 lb channel. We were fishing a relativley narrow stretch of the river and both of those fish were caught near the banks....on opposite sides. (Within 5 ft from the bank off of shear vertical banks) I thought that maybe the fish were not in the middle of the river but holding tight along the banks. So, I decided to put one rod over there. This was a cheap $30 rod, reel combo that I bought like 12 years ago, a Walmart special....I don't know why I still have it. But, the gears are all screwed up and I couldn't set my drag. I didn't want to leave the bail open either because of debris (leaves and stuff) floating down the river would have just spooled me out. So, I have a closed bail and no drag set and the rod not in a holder...just sitting on the bow of my boat. I was sitting in a chair right next to it and thought that I would have enough time to reach down and grab it before it goes...but as the story goes, I didn't have enough time.

After about 15 minutes of putting my bait close to the bank, a huge fish (presumably a flat head) surfaced and made a big splash of his tail right were my bait was located. I looked and thought that must of been a huge fish. Then I realized that indeed he may have tasted the hook or some sort of pressure from the rod tip. I immediatley reached down for my rod to see if I could feel anything. As I started reaching, the rod ripped from the bow of the boat at the speed of a bullet. It landed out in the water in front of me like 10 foot. (just to show you how fast that rod left my presence) I threw a trebble hook for 15 minutes trying to snag it without success. I am not upset about the rod....more about that fish. Lessons learned. I like to think it was a flathead...I'll continue to dream. It could have been a channel though....I suppose. I was so mad, I packed everything up at 11:30 and called it quits.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sorry to laugh but I've been there with carp. LOL! Them cats are quick and when they decide they want the bait see ya later. Glad it wasn't a real good outfit.

3. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    who were you fishing with? you see why i insist on my bait click reels now huh? could you imagine how loud they would sing for a fish that size?

I am glad you finally got that flat you been searching for. Regardless of the incident you found a spot and so that's cool. Good thing you are netting shad at buckeye too....we need to fish a few times before the seasons gone as well.

Ben

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If your not loosing a rig now and then you ain't fishing in the right place. Be glad it was not some expensive equip. Hang in there your fish is only one cast away.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats all part of the fun of it! you will get a bigun in time. time spent fishing isn't time wasted. i have lost a few outfits myself. actually this may around 1:00 in the morning five minutes before reeling in to leave i had a flat that knocked my 300$ st.croix and 10000 garcia reel out of a rodholder. in the lake it went! like jaws dragging a barrel across the surface! lol i ran and jumped in, laying in waist deep water on my stomach doing snow angels with my arms and legs i was lucky to hit the reel before it went out and farther!. lol. thanks for the laugh...keep at em' man!!! rollo

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    at least it wasnt your good rig. soon enough you will get a monster on the bank. it will just make you hit the river harder now.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rollo, I wish I had been with you and had the video runnin LOL. That would have been a sight. Everyone save up your money and get a reel with a baitclicker. It'll save you in the long run with lost equipment and lost fish.

8. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    thats too funny, but if nothing else you caught a great fish story.

Better Luck Next Time