Snow tells it all.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by postbeetle, Nov 19, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Deer season here in about 12 days. The big ones. 1st and 2nd shotgun. We dump our carcass cleanings and trimmings with bones in different spots of this property.

Last year we had dumped 3 such sites. Had a nice light snow during the early evening, about an inch. Went out to a coupla sites the next afternoon to check them to see what had been around them. The snow told it all.

Each site had activity from coyote, could follow them by their drags where they will sit and eat. Fox tracks. Grab a bite and run. Pheasant tracks picking at the tallow and fat. Eagle tracks walking to the carcass and standing on it tearing meat scraps. We have a lot of overwintering eagles and that is primarily why we dump this stuff out there. Turkey tracks coming to the carcass and circling it, probably out of turkey curiosity. Rabbit tracks, don't know why they were there. Deer tracks, sniffing at the remains of their buddies. Multiple wintering and overwintering song bird tracks picking at anything. I think I might if I can get over my laziness put out a trail cam on one of these sites sometime and just see what does go on.

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've often thought about that too John, I bet you'd get some good pics. The deer hunt is on here already (got til next weekend) and the trail cam is 120 miles away where we bow hunt, :sad2:, guess it will have to wait until shotgun season closes, then try with a bow.

3. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    its amazing what a deer carcass will feed,from critters down to insects.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No snow, but 10 minutes after I gutted my deer this year, there were 6 crows on the pile. I don't know, but I'm, guessing that the guts were gone in less than an hour. Nature is a wonderful thing.

5. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    i did the same thing with both of my carcass this year back were i killed them and me and a buddy did a little coyote huntin from tree stand on the carcass and killed a lot of them but we senn a lot of other night time critters on the carcass other then the yotesit was pretty kool if u ask meand now that we have dont that i have not seen one yote back i them woods for a long time now but here in ohio there is no bag limit on yotes so we killed like 15 each a night with two of us so it was fun doing that:big_smile:

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The most productive trapping of coyotes you can find is on deer kills or deer carcass trimmings. The biggest problem is non-targets. Ain't worth it. Gunning them as you did works every time. Gut piles are wondrous attractants too.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I absolutely love tracking and hunting in fresh snow. I dont know what is around here but I have a week old deer carcass that hasnt been touched except by maggots. It seems to always be like that around here, carcasses sit forever.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    you better hope you find your deer around here pretty quick or there will be nothing left but the head!

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am hoping you do put up a trail cam. I am interested in what turns up. Keep us posted. Later Andy.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Very interesting Postbettle. I have always wondered what the various critters around the carcass would be. We should learn from the animal kingdom and learn how to waste nothing.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i get some looks from passers by on this but nothing goes to waste here! my dog and the nieghbors love to see deer hanging in the tree.

Attached Files:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just put a rack of ribs similar to that in my freezer this past weekend ,I too WASTE NOT.