snow goose loads?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by BRIANL, Jan 30, 2008.

1. BRIANL

BRIANL New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    going snow goose hunting sunday and a little curious about what some of you guys favorite size shot for them are. i normally shoot 3" #1s at em so i can fit another shell in my gun.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We only hunt the occasional snow that wanders in with a flock of lessers ,But my fav steel load is "t" shot,I used to use BB back when lead was legal ,had a pet load for my 3" Ithica 12ga. Now I try the bigger shot to get the downrange energy to stop em. I have busted greater canadians with bb and 1 only to watch em fly off after shot at 20 yds.I HATE STEEL Wish we could go back to lead myself.

3. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    The same with us here on the snows every once in a while in this part of the state, there's quite a few on the coast. I have mainly hunted them in Arkansas. I like #2,#1, and #BB for ducks. I like #BB, #BBB, and #T for geese and for sure miss #F shot. I have killed some geese with #1 shot while loaded for duck and had geese come in but they were close. I have been loading up with 2 BB's or BBB's and a T for the 3rd shot. Not sure if your able to hunt with out a plug or not probably so after the duck season gos out. I sure wish they would bring F shot back! During the lead day's we shot #4 and #5 at ducks and #2 and #BB at geese. I sure do miss shooting lead! I also favor 3.5in when shooting steel. Let us know how you do, good luck.

4. Talkinquack

Talkinquack New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I shoot BB's or T's while goose hunting. I have killed em' with #2's but they were only 25 yrds from us.

5. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I like to use hevi shot 2's
    they have great down range energy, and thats good when you dont have a huge spread and are skybusting .
    Heres a thought if i spent less on shells and more on decoys maybe i wouldnt have to sky bust?

Also have been shooting fedral tungsten BB this year , picked up a pallet for under $8.00/ box they have been great on honkers

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

SKYBUSTING:tounge_out::angry:Learn to call ,you CAN do it

7. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    When hevi-shot 1st came out we called the man who invented it out in Organ and he sent us 2 cases on the house! We were some of the 1st to try it on waterfowl, and were able to get it at discount and rebates a couple seasons after. And had good luck with #4, #2, and #B for geese and #4 and #6 for duck. But now its gone out the roof along with gas so for the past 2 or 3 seasons we have not shot any. The fuel cost alone for scouting is enough to break a man! Sky busting only gives them a 12th gauge education!:crazy:

8. Talkinquack

Talkinquack New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC

Amen! Nothing worse than sitting in the blind watching people skybust birds that are heading your way!!:angry:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As for huge spreads,I only use three doz,Flambeau mag shells,if the birds get leerey ,I use as few as four ,In my opinion,calling is one of the most important aspects of goose hunting. I've called flocks of 50+ off of other guides that were hunting the same field as me ,When you got the talk ,use it .

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have to say I like a mix of big-foot and wind sock decoys # we put out varies from 16-150 Canada, Snow 100-1000.

11. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    I know that sky busting is bad , I hate when it happens . Most of the time I only get to pass shoot at snows , so shots arent in your face like I can get with dark geese and mallards
    you must admit that it is hard to get snows to land with out a bunch of deeks . I love heavy shot , but did you catch the part that I bought a pallet of tungsten BB's

12. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    gotta go with BB or BBB we mostly hunt big greater candians tho also i shoot 3 1/2" most times but i shot 3" tell just a few years ago and gotta go with BB or BBB

13. BRIANL

BRIANL New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    thanks for the input guys maybe ill go up a size or two, ive just always liked more pellets, but i do tend to get a few crips that i got to chase after. i normally shoot 3-1/2" but i can fit another shell in my gun with 3" when my plug is out.

14. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    Brian pick the shell that shoots the best and that you have the best patterns with . Good luck to you this weekend and ( SHOOT THEM IN THE LIPS)

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Heres a tip,that I allways told my clients to do ,when decoying geese. If you can see thier eyes ,they are in range,shoot for the wing butt,break the wing and the goose is down. Also pick one and shoot at that bird till it falls before you get on any other birds. helps reduce lots of cripples.

16. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    I was always taught that if you could see their feet , take em
    I know that we all have shot at birds that were a little to far , but thats what happens some times .
    i would agree with picking a bird and shoot at that one till it falls .
    If you are hunting in a large group of guys dont pick the first / closest bird as that one . Every one else will pick the closest /first bird and you will have a 18 shot volley and one bird on the ground that isnt worth eating . I like to start at the back and work my way to the front bird . gives me more time to pick my shots better

17. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    smokeeater3302 we run into that problem all the time! People just do not understand their shooting zone! Getting multiple shots on the same bird is due to lack of knowledge! You shoot whats in your zone, not necessarily the closes bird! For sure do not let the closest bird go, but shoot it if it's in your zone! And like you said shoot them in the head. I've so many times seen shooters shoot to the far side of their zone to only shoot on birds that were covered by a another gun! And that's how poor shooting works 99% of the time!

18. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THAT LEAD SHOT IS THE BEST. I LIKE 00 OR 4BUCK. IT WILL TAKE THEM OUT AT 70 YARDS. ALSO LEAD IS SO MUCH CHEAPER AND KILLSEM DEAD.HOPE THIS HELPS IT DID FOR ME IN RUSSIA.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'm sure #4 buck will knock the fire out of em, but it's not legal in the u.s. it's absurd that lead is illegal here, i think, but it's the law. ducks and geese go out and feed in the same fields we shoot doves and quail and pheasants in, with lead! i shoot win drylock 3" BBB's for geese. i too, HATE STEEL!!! i just can't afford to pay the prices of the tungsten alloy and all the other nontoxic heavy metals....

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ive been shooting winchester high velocity #2's and its been workin real well for me, knocks em down at 40 yards and sometimes ill get a couple 2 for 1's