snow geese

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Wil, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    got my first one this afternoon. my buddy and i have a plywood cutout of a cow that we used to sneak up on a flock but they bugged out and right when we thought it was done they turned and flew right over us and i smacked one right on the wing and he went down. ill be eatin well tonight! :big_smile:

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    We have had about 10 to 20 thousand in our corn field for the last 2 days. They sure are hard to sneak up on.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Will,That cow siloette Works if ya move slow,We used them about 30 years ago when I first started hunting geese . I didnt know anybody still knew about em.

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thats probably why they bugged out, we were movin kinda fast cuz we didnt wanna run out of light or anything like that cuz we had some other spots we wanted to get to also. ill tell my friend next time that we need to move slower

5. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    So. Missouri is loaded up now.

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i could care less about how many are in missouri, i shot my first one im happy about it, thanks buzzkill.

7. Talkinquack

Talkinquack New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Congrats on your first snow Wil. I've never killed one or ever hunted em'. I've seen a ton though in TN and Louisiana.

8. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    up there in minden they are moving through huh? Hmm might have to sneak up that way wednesday or thursday .. congrats on the your first bird!

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Congrats on your 1st. Snow Goose. Just listened to a segment by Ken Boughton on NTV Ch.13 in Kearney on how to make a cow silouette out of plywood for snow goose hunting. COOL! The geese are just littering the sky around the Hastings area. To bad in live the city limits or I could limit out every day probably. We live by Hastings Lake, and when the geese fly up from the water, they go right over our house. There so low, I could easily thump them from by back porch.

Take Care Wil!!:big_smile:
    Mark

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    finally had a great morning! my buddy and i were gonna go hunt some decoys we set up but we got up late this morning at around 730 so we decided to use the cow and put the ole "peak n sneak" on them. we saw this flock of atleast 10,000 or more and started our stalk. we went 200 yards without any of them bugging out or anything then when we got 35 yards away we dropped the cow and let them have it. we both fired 3 times and when it was all said and done 9 geese lay on the field. some of them were still kickin but we took care of them in no time. we had a great morning! ill try to put pics up later but my computers actin kinda funny

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    way to go Will! need to come around here and put the smackdown on some of these honkers. can't believe how many snow geese there are. we have a field behind our house and it looks like it's covered with snow. heck there's thousands of them. no population shortage for sure!!

GREAT JOB!:wink:

Mark

12. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    my brother whacked 18 jumping them out of a field Sat. In southern Iowa but Sunday we had no luck out of same field, I think the wind and temp drop sent them back south for a while.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Way to go Wil,I told ya it would work better goin at em real slow. Sounds like yall had a blast .

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are the pics from yesterday. im on the left. enjoy :big_smile:

the goose i have in my hand is actually a blue goose, it just has different coloring than the other two. at first we thought it was a hybrid between a snow and a blue but later found out it was a blue with different coloration

15. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Nice pics bro!:wink:

16. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Nice pics. That would be fun to do. Never have shot a snow. I would love to go sometime but they dont fly down by us very often. Congrats Will on a great hunt

17. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thought yall might like to see what we kinda look like behind that cow.. im in the blue.. hahaha

[​IMG]

18. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    went out again today, didnt get any shots but their definately on the move full on. saw 4 or 5 flocks of 10,000 or more. it was really a sight to see

19. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    see if i cant get yall some pics of these goose hunts that weve had. i havnt had any luck decoyin yet..birds are bulletproof i tell ya what.. but i got some pics of me on a peek&sneek and then of wil and me after our day of 9for6 lol
    wils on left im on right-
    [​IMG]
    wil couldnt come with, but i managed to sneek on a couple snows-
    [​IMG]

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    nice redneck speak, reps haha