Snow Geese hunting

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by fat_fish55, Jan 28, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    wondering if any snow goose hunters on here.
    if so wonderin wut uv been seein and where

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I am from Missouri, but am down in Louisiana right now filming for the Duck Commander, Phil Robertson. We have seen ALOT of snow geese headed back north the past week. Things should be getting started with a bang for the guys in Arkansas and Northern Louisiana for sure. Phil says this was the warmest January he's ever experienced here in Louisiana. Good luck with the snow geese and God bless.

3. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    assasin what is the next duck commander movie gonna be called? bloodline was pretty good. Phil right i hunt in the mississippi delta and it just sucked this year

4. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    I live in n.e. Nebraska. We've been seeing a few small groups filtering up this way. Season opened yesterday. I am expecting some mass carnage this year!:thumbsup: I just got finished makig 8 doz. sillos that turned out great, along with a homemade e caller. I'm headed out fishing today, and will take all my gear in case they're flying!

5. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    e caller goose500x400.jpg

sillos 500x400.jpg

Here are the sillos I made and my e caller speakers. I took two canada floaters and cut the keel off, installed 100 watt waterproof speakers and repainted the decoys. I have my CD and amp pushing 100 watts to each speaker. I think they'll hear me!:D

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Duckmen X Relentless. There are some big changes that I'm sure everyone will find out about in the near future with their sponsors. One of the hunts I filmed will be on ESPN. I'll let ya'll know when it comes on. God bless.

7. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    we have seen several thousand snow geese on the conservation department refuges, otherwise we've seen one flock that really likes the yard at some big fancy house next to the sod farm :) Those geese know where they are safe, the people in the big house don't want anyone to kill the geese but the sod farm guys love to have people come kill snow geese!

8. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    does phil use a extended full choke? shure does look like it. haha sometimes it looks like hes got some lead. does the camera just make the ducks look farther than they actually are?

9. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Believe me when I say Phil obeys the law of the land. He is a by the books guy. He shoots a Kick's Extra Full Choke(it is an extended choke) when the ducks aren't cooperating very well. When they are cooperating, he'll shoot the Modified or Improved Cylinder. The Extra Full will flat out rock 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes the camera can make the ducks look further away, but let me tell you, Phil can kill 'em out there to 70 yards easily!!!!!!!!!!!! They can flat smoke ducks when they are on. God bless.

10. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are alot of snows around the Bay area in Texas. Yeah extra full with some two shot is awsome for those geese when you have no cover. So how is working for Phil? How did you guys do this season in Louisiana? We had a heck of a drought. The warm weather didn't stop us. It was the lack of rain. Besides I think I could get used to hunting ducks in 70 degree weather LOL.
    God Bless you as well.

11. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Working for Phil was the very best career move I've ever made. Zero stress!!!!!!!!!! They are great christian folks that are down to earth and easy to get along with. The duck season in Louisiana was horrible. We had a few days where we whacked 'em and stacked 'em, so the video will look like we had and excellent season, but it was bad. They said that Louisiana as a whole was holding as many ducks as they've ever had, but the refuges must have been holding them all. In January when they should be migrating, they stacked up in Missouri. My friends here at home told me that we had the warmest January ever on record, so that's another reason the season slacked off. Our best days were an 8 man limit and a 7 man limit. On a whole they averaged around 9 ducks per day. God bless.

12. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wow thats not to bad. How do you get a job like that? How do you have your own hunting show? Not that I want to get into it I mean I would like to, but I'm just interested to know how it happens.
    God bless you as well.

13. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    YEARS of hard work paying off is how I fell into it. I filmed Buck Gardner's Fowl Play III last year and decided that this year I needed to step it up a notch and contacted Phil and he had me down to test me out and see what he thought. Obviously I impressed him, he made me the number one cameraman and invited me back next year, so I took that as a compliment. As for the show, I don't have my own show, but film for others and help out here and there as needed. Been in the industry since '97 and networking is where it's at. LOT'S of great people in the hunting industry. God bless.

14. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool. I guess you guess it's who you know not what you know. LOL

15. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats pretty awsome asasin

hey whisker, how did u make them silos?

16. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    fat_fish,..they are made from 1/4" luan plywood with 3 coats of flat white primer. After playing around with my pattern, I was able to cut 26 of them from one 4x8 sheet (jigsaw). The stakes are 1/2 sch40 PVC cut in half lengthwise (bench vice & jigsaw), mounted with two small stove bolts. Cutting the pipe in half makes them really "waddle" in the wind. It took some labor and time, but at todays prices,....I made about 6 dozen for the price of buying one dozen.
    :004:

17. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Yes, who you know can help out ALOT. I never went to school for training or anything like that, I learned how to run a camera on my own. I currently have 3 cameras that I film with, my favorite being the Canon XL2. God bless.

18. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks alot whisker
    i gotta make me some of them befor next spring

19. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Up here in Illinois we had a lot of snows around the carlyle lake area but most of them left to the north with that warm weather the past few weeks. Missouri area ie grand pass, fountain grove, etc were holding a bunch but they had the same problem they lost them to the north but squaw creek and swan lake are still holding a bunch of snows right now. this cold front coming through right now may change all that though it is 24 right now and tomarrow the high is 28 with a low of 9 in columbia with the highs hovering around freezing for the next 4 days so maybe we will get some back from the north and hopefully more from the south soon too as well.

20. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey wiskers, Great looking silos!! They look about like the ones I have only mine are canadians. For guys that don't use them they just don't know the elusion of movement they give a spread. I had some friend that only use full bodies come out and hunt with me and I could see the worry in their eyes when they saw my spread.(80 plywood silos - 40 stand shells - 3 full bodies - 1 wing waver) but their minds were put to ease when the birds started dropping in! There is also a great satisfaction in shooting geese over you're own decoys!! For anybody else thinking of making some I sudjest drivin' around to some construction sites and talking with the framers- they've always got some scrap plywood they'll ge glad to see somebody haul it off!