Snoopy Pole Challenge

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Cuz, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey guys n gals, I'm putting some ideas to paper on getting the "Snoopy Challenge" up and running.

During some of my personal thought sessions, I've come up with some issues which I'd like you all to debate. I dont doubt that this would be whole lot of fun for our members but we must be honest with ourselves on a couple of issues.

The biggest issue I see with this type of tourney, is the effect it might have on these fish. In particular, if we go after these fish with snoopy, superman, batman, etc 3 feet fishing rods and plastic reels, we are NO DOUBT going to bust off alot of fish, the result being the fish are going to be swimming around with a long stretch of fishing line behind them, and a hook in there mouth. If the fish get the line tangled up around themselves, or around structure, it would most likely be fatal to the fish, and I know none of us want that.

Questions we need to answer. Can this risk be mitigated by utilizing hooks that rust out quickly , and perhaps utilizing a very light leader material that would break off very near the fish? We could issue the leader material, and the hooks to each angler so that the fishes risk would be mitigated and we would all be on the same playing field. If we replace the line on the plastic reels with a stouter braid, then use a light leader, a broken off fish would only have a foot or so of very light line to drag around for a day or two. If we use hooks that will rust out very quickly, the fish would be able to shed the hook in the matter of a couple of days.

Catfish Chris might be able to shed some light on this for us as well.

Lets me honest with ourselves on this tournament idea. I dont doubt it would be hilarious with all of us tearin down the river with barbie poles hanging from our rod racks, however we must be honest and forthcoming with ways that wont impact the fish.

I'm thinking its doable IF
    1. We all respool the reels with 50 pound braid (which is the same diameter of 12 pound mono)
    2. We all utilize a leader material of say 20 pounds breaking strength. (we would pre-issue each angler several leaders so we are all fishing equally)

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What are you talking about??????

You mean I can't mount my ABU 7000 ic3's on my barbie poles????:eek:oooh:

You still have a major disadvantage to deal with regarding the wimpy rod and why not soup-up and customize your barbie/snoopy/etc... rods as long as the rod itself remains unmodified.:0a24:

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thats a good question John, I think we should use mono instead of braid. Like you said if the fish wraps himself He's done. I was thinking maybe the meramac river. Theres some nice channels and blues there. Plus it will be a bigger thrill if the kid can land the fish instead of just breaking off

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Willie..... the snoopy pole tourney was for us adults! LMAO!!!!!

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

OH..........:eek:oooh:

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Guess I better dust off my captain america classic from 1981......LMAO

7. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Cuz, I have two Snoopy poles if you need to us them, of course it will have too be a day that I am not fishing. Cuz, Please send me a pm with the BOC info so I can join.

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    I just had a vison of this tourney................LMAO
    We need lots of pictures..........lol

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I guess we could have a couple divisions like in racing or tractor pulling.:smile2:

STOCK: Unmodified, bone-stock, Snoopy/Barbie/Scooby-Do/Captain America/Teletubbies etc.... fishing rigs.

SUPER STOCK/MODIFIED: Altered how you like with the rod itself unaltered.

10. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Amazing.. Snoopy vs Mickey challenge just might actually happen..

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds fun, but the "unmodified" division brings us back to the point of the possibility of killing the fish. Cant have that. Keep tossing ideas around. Something that is safe to the fish will "pop up" At least I hope so.

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    All I can say then is your original idea of respooling with braid and requiring say 20 lb max test for leader material.

Or.... allowing BIG reels to be installed on the rods. Both still relatively safe.

13. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    2 cents, 20 lbs leaders might be a little heavy for a snoopy pole.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Here is my thoughts so far.

Gateway Cats Fund Raiser

80 Dollar Entry Fee (20 dollars per person)
    4 people to a Team (per boat)
    1 rod per man/woman/ or child
    MUST utilize one of the Walmart/kmart etc 3 foot fishing rods, and it MUST remain unmodified.
    Leader material will be given out to each angler, and they MUST utilize the given leader material as the portion that is attached to the hook.

Awards Given For

Aggregate Weight
    Big Fish
    Most Creative Modified Stock Rod.

You may utilize your finest catfish reel, assuming you can find a way to mount it to the rod :smile2: (remembering that the rod itself must remain unmodified :wink:)

Thoughts?

Of course there will be a trophy that "I, Cuz" get to come up with. :smile2: And this trophy will be passed down from year to year.

15. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    You might try light line,say 4# test.If one breaks off,the line is so light,he shoudn't be injured dragging it along.Seems it'd break off down to the hook.Then the hook could rust away.I fish for big carp this way.You've got to be patient to get them in,but,I've caught up to 20 odd pounders this way.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    John, What about going with barb-less hooks on the leaders, will allow the fish a greater chance to remove hook if broken off? and they will also add an element to the actual catch, have used them several times in different applications, they work well? Just a thought.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats certainly a possiblity. Perhaps we can give out the leaders and the hooks to each person fishing so that the playing field is equal at the end of the line.

18. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My Spongebob will out fish your Snoopy any day.

19. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    This certainly sounds fun. I believe the barbless hooks plus a small pound test leader together would be the way to go. Wish i could get in on this....hmmm....Now i have the urge to take my daughters spongebob pole to the lake

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    What do you guys think about the money?

Is $20.00 Per Person (80 per boat)
    Too much?
    Too little?
    Should it be a team effort, or every man/woman/child for himself like the dollar tourney's?

I figured since we will be limiting the "barbie Poles" to ONE per person that 4 folks in a boat would work out great and would make it a whole lot of fun not to mention would make it a WHOLE lot cheaper for all involved.

Thoughts?