Sniper Trail Camera

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by flathead willie, Dec 28, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm about to buy a trail camera. I studied the comparison chart from Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/comparison-chart-1/trail_cameras_.shtml) and the Stealth Cam Sniper IR 8.0 looked pretty good and at a decent price, $149.00. I don't really want to spend too much since things have a habit of turning up missing in the National Forest.

I've never used one before. Do any of you use one? What features are most important? Any feed back would be appreciated before I spend my wife's money. LOL

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&cm_cat=&cm_pla=&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I can't help but hope others can. I too want to buy a couple cams. Ain't got much money but don't want junk either.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got a stealth cam this summer. It was my first one and it took some trial and error to get it working like I'd like. It is an infrared camera too, which I like. I don't know if all stealth cams are like this or if it was just this particular model, but I'm a little disappointed with the trigger speed. Also the battery life is considerably less in cold weather. I will probably end up getting a rechargeable 12v battery kit pretty soon and use that, they say they last quite a bit longer. With all that being said, I still don't regret buying that particular brand/model. It has helped my scouting and also helped convince some of my friends/family to be more willing to pass on younger bucks because there's proof that there REALLY are bigger deer on the property. I think the stealth cams are okay cameras but I think they are more suited for a feed site or salt lick or something that will stop the deer. I've got it set up on a trail that they regularly travel (pointed up the trail) and the trigger still just isn't fast enough to get them if they are moving through without stopping. I do get lots of pictures of deer, don't get me wrong, but there's always quite a few that are just of hind quarters. I can tell that I miss alot. I got my dad a feeder for Christmas and I'll be moving my stealth cam to where he puts that up. The next camera I get will probably be a cuddieback or something with a faster trigger speed.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    By the way, this is the camera I was talking about except mine is green. http://www.stealthcam.net/HTML/sc_nomad_ir.html

Hope my post helped a little. Good luck, trail cameras are alot of fun but it takes trial and error to get it set up right. No matter how good I think my angle is, its always a little too high or low... a little frustrating when its a 2 hour drive to my hunting ground. But still a lot of fun. I found that I couldn't wait to check my camera photos before hunts, it was always the first thing I would do when I got into town.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Trigger speed isn't listed on many of the ads for these things. That's one of the things I'm worried about. I don't have feeders so I'll be watching trail crossings and terraces.