Snells how many

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bluecatnut, Jun 25, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    how many wraps do u put on them i have been putting about 30 on them is that too many

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    30! Must be a huge hook. LOL! I use 8/0 Gama circles and do about 7 or 8 wraps usein the uni-knot snell.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Even on a 10/0 King Kahle, I only wrap the line 8 times to snell my hooks.

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Dusty;
    It depends a little bit on the size hook, size of, and type of, the line but 30 sounds a tad too many. If memory serves [and sometimes it doesn't] about 8 wraps or so is the most I've used on a hook.
    I will say this, it your using a 20/0 treble hook then 30 may not be too many for a hook that size!!! :crazy:
    And yes, I do have a 20/0 treble hook. It's for the really BIG Catfish!:roll_eyes:
    Just messin with ya a bit. :smile2:
    But seriously, try about 1/4th to 1/3rd of what you have been using. I think you will be happier in the long run. :smile2:
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of message]]]]]

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    about 7-8 wraps, make sure your line is wet when you cinch it.

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    jw i was wrapping 10/ king kahles

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Seven or eight is perfect with the uni-knot since the more pull on it the tighter it gets.Right on again George!

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I do the more antiquated snell where the line is brought up from the eye of the hook, wrapped around, and then the tail end is brought back through the eye. Anything past 6/0 I like to use close to 1 wrap per every 1/0 of the hook (so a 10/0 hook would have 10 wraps). Seems to do pretty well that way. And 30 does sound like you are exhausting yourself with the effort, unless of couse you are using a 30/0 hook :wink: