Snelling or not

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Fokromix, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    Just wanted to get some thoughts on rigging hooks. I use circle hooks but have switched to gamakatsu inline circle 8/0 as opposed to 8/0s with the slight bend at the eye. So I am snelling the hooks and just wanted to get some thoughts from folks about how you tie your snells. I was curious about theories on fishing coming off while fighting and though I've asked this before what the experience of others tells them...

I've used uni-knot snells(using thick mono leader so I don't prefer these)
    "Quick Snells"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBC678f85qg&NR=1

Tag Snells as I call them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukzfzws2jYY

And twist snells
    http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php?LogoImage=LogoStripers247.jpg#Overhand

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri

3. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    There was a hook in there somewhere?

4. bigcattracker

bigcattracker New Member

State:
    virginia
    I used to snell my cicrle hooks not sure what the name was but I lost a lot of fish. it seemed to me the snell would come undone. So now I use a polmar knot.

5. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have been using the uni-knot snell for years now. I have never had it fail. I think it is an easy way to snell a hook and a very effienent knot that won't let you down.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use the second You Tube examble, "Tag Snell". My older brother taught me how to snell a hook years ago. They work great with the offset eyes on the big Circle Hooks. I can't remember any knots failing. I use 80 pound berkely big game leader material for catfish and 50 pound flurocarbon leaders when fishing for stripers with eels.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its only snell for me too! And a properly tied snell will not come undone....:wink:

8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I snell my hooks all the time. Works best with a offset eye, the line goes straight thru. It's nothin more than a uni-knot.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I use the twist snell example. Never had one fail at all, and they stay tight just the way you tie them.

I started off fishing using another snell knot, and it wasn't good, if you pulled hard enough the line would bunch up. No worries with the twist snell though.

I use 10/0 Owners SSW circles with the offset eye. As the previous poster mentioned, the offset eye allows the snell to work in a straight line.

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
  11. SaltDog

SaltDog New Member

State:
    tn
    I had the volume off for that video and still enjoyed it.

12. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I snell my knot when I am using a hook with the offset eye, but I would recommend the double clinch knot on an inline eye hook. This is a great knot for mono line. Most people make the mistake of to many wraps with a heavier line. This makes it more difficult to tighten the knot.

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love snells on off set eyes and use clinch knots but now I do more ties with the palomar knot. Quick, strong, and easy.

14. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Why would you snell a hook VS tying a Palomar or Improved Clinch knot? Would be interesting to see how the snell holds up to a knot machine test?

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Snells hold the hook Rigid, exactly straight inline with the leader. More importantly:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:They just look so darn pretty!. I think snells are slightly less strong than palomars a a few % if I remember right but I don't really care. I use 80 pound Leader Material that I change every trip and check after every fish. Caught a few 80's and knock on wood,,nothing has broken me off. Drag is set for 14 pounds. Don't see how anything can break me off unless they get into wood.

16. mikesxpress

mikesxpress New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do allot of off-shore and fish bass TX's throughout the year prior to the winter catfishing, and no doubt the snell is pretty when it's tied up! I got paired with a guy from Erie two years ago and he tied all his bass tackle with a snell. :smile2: Personal pref. on this one I guess. I stick with a few others I have tested on the knot machine that break at 97% or better.

17. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    My experience has taught me that when using circle hooks rigged with live or dead bait, that tying the hook to the end of the leader with a snell is probably one of the best ways to rig it. Here is why I say this.

1. It's strong enough to not fail if you have a big fish on. Whith a good rod and reel eqiupped to handle large fish, the rod and drag system should be enough by itself.
    2. Tied properly it won't slip. Have yet to loose a fish because of slippage.

3. Snelling a circle hook alows the hook to hang straight from the shank, whichallow the natural curving of the hook to culrl inward. this makes the hook want to turn even more by placing it in the right position.

4. I only use this knot when fishing live or cut bait. As snelling has it's place, as do other knots for other uses. And I only snell circle hooks.

5. Good Luck and Happy fishing to all. No mater what you use.

18. Fokromix

Fokromix New Member

State:
    VA
    Good feedback...I swear by the palomar for everything except circles for the reaons everyone mentioned...and having just started using in line circles I may try the palomar...or keep snelling and use my offset circles...either way I will surely be wrong(don't call me shirley)

19. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky