Snelling kahle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by miichael, Sep 11, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How is the best way to snell a kahle hook for the best hook set? Have to line come out toward the hook point (bottom) or have it come out on the back of the hook (top)? I posted pics of what im talking about.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The second picture you posted is the way I run the line off the hook.

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Miichael;
    Michael!, you ask a silly question like that with the Avatar you posted??????? You ought to be ashamed! :lol: It's a good thing you cant see my face right now because I am LOL!!:smile2:
    It looks to me like your doing quite well! I sure hope I get something that sized at Kenlake next weekend!!:smile2:
    But to answer your question I agree with Brother Tom/coypcat the bottom one is the way I Snell mine. I don't know exactly how much practical difference it makes but I'd like to think I get a better ummm, "Hookup" with them snelled like in the bottom photo.
    However, I have no empirical evidence to support my choice! I think what might be more important is that you take your time and Snell them properly and snug them up good before using them so when you DO get a 40 lb + "Kitty" on the hook that the line will not slip because it's already tied properly and snugged correctly too.
    Although I still think your "pulling my leg" considering that "Big Muddy" your holding hopefully this will help ya out some. :smile2:
    If you ever catch another Critter that sized or larger I want an Autographed 8" x 10" for my wall!!
    Take Care, Keep In Touch.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    2nd picture (line coming out the same side as the point) is the way to go. It holds the hook at a better angle, and there's nothing in line with the line to snag as the hook slides into position. Just as a 3rd option, though, you don't need to go through the eye at all. The eye isn't holding the knot. It's tied around the hook shank and the widening at the outside of the eye is the only thing actually holding the knot in place.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The second pic is the way to go.
    When you set the hook with it running that way, the line will be pulling the hook towards the fish as it come up.

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks a lot for the replies. I haven't used snell knots yet but i plan to give them a try.