Snelling hooks

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by shadmaster, Dec 22, 2008.

1. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    I was losing a lot of blues. I used different styles of hooks and just kept losing a lot. Then I found out about snelled hooks. Really improved my hook up rate. I'm using the big circles and getting good hook ups. Snelling a hook is easy. Sometimes at home I make up some to keep in my tackle box for a break off. They do take a little longer to make but are really worth the effort. If you haven't learned how just go to "you tube" and do a search for "snelled hook" and there are several good videos. Try it, you'll like the results plus it retains 100% of the line strength.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can check out the BOC library and some Videos of our own Big George for snelling and fishing techniques.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats right Mickey.
    Bill, anything you want or need to know about cat fishing is here to be found on the BOC. Even if it hasn't been invented yet just sit back and wait a while or introduce it your self. As a matter of fact i invented snelling hooks back in 1842 I had to use cat gut back then, but it worked just fine. :wink:

4. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    You've got to be the oldest fisherman out there! Whats your secret to long life?

5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Here are two way to snell a hook,
    :big_smile:

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I just started to snell my hooks about a month ago. I haven't had to much time to fish with them yet, but the last couple of fish I caught with a snelled hook I had no problems getting hook-ups. Can't wait to try them with the Flats.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL , there is definitely somethin wrong with you Jack......now I know it's old age ; )

Yep...snelling is the way to go . But hold on ......the Palomar Knot activist will be showing up anytime so take cover ; )

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I snell mine too,I just tie on a leader with an improved clinch knot:big_smile:,Yall keep on dion what ya do,Sounds like if it works for you,it aint broke. I'm still wondering if all that really improves the hookups like ya say,Might be a little bit of self confidence involved.:cool2:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < But hold on ......the Palomar Knot activist will be showing up anytime so take cover ; )>

Palomars definitely have their place, tying swivels to the leader, and leader to main line, but there is NO question that snelling is THE way to tie hooks on for most success. It has been PROVEN with tests on the water.
    Bill in SC

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Paul's Fishing Kites have conducted extensive research on fish hook types, hook sizes, and the effects of tying fishing hooks versus snelling fishing hooks in the New Zealand snapper fishery. It was found that the type of fishing hook knots used has a significant effect on catch rates
    Circle hooks with a snell knot were found to have the highest catch rate by a considerable margin and caught more than twice as many fish as either O'Shaugnessy and Octopus patterned hooks of the same size.
    The method of tying fishing hooks was also investigated and a difference in catch rate between tying a circle hook versus snelling a circle hook was determined to be around 20&#37; in favor of the snell knot. See the diagrams below on how to tie a fishing knot to attach the hook to the trace.
    Snelled fishing hooks
    Besides improved catch rates, the snell knot takes only seconds per hook to tie. The resulting attachment is one of the strongest fishing knots around, whereas tying to the eye of the hook weakens the trace by as much as 40% (depending on the knot used and the skill of the fisherman tying the knot).
    The best snelled fishing hooks found in the extensive sea trials (over 10,000 hooks were set) are available from Paul's Fishing Kites. The snell is the easiest fish hook tying knot around.

Snelling is a very simple method of fishing hook knot tying and the snell knot is the strongest of all saltwater fishing hook knots.

• First pass the trace through the eye of the hook from the front of the hook. Only pass it through about half an inch.
    • Hold the shank of the hook and the half inch tab end and wrap the trace around both the shank of the hook and the tab end 7 or 8 turns.
    • Pass the trace back down through the eye of the hook from the back of the hook.
    • Pull the trace tight while holding the hook to set the snell.
    • There should be very little or no tag end protruding when the knot is set.
    IMPORTANT!!:

If the hook curls up towards the trace you have snelled the hook correctly. We believe that snelling a hook like this makes the trace act as a spring and improves the hook up rate and also prevents the fish from throwing the hook.

Bill in SC

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Bill I call it my trigger , I love the curl it gives...on straight shank circles that is . It does look like a hard knot to tie but it is really simple after a few .

Snelling works perfect on Kahles also ; ) If I could snell a swivel I would do that too, LOL.

-Jim-

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I was having similar problems and was trying just about everything from Wide Gap to Khales. Then I found out about Snelling. I learned how to do it, and now use 9/0 Eagle Claw Full Circle hooks all the time on a 50# test 24 to 30" leader. And have over a 90% hook-up ratio over the last 5 years.. Also want to note the B.O.C library is full of great Info. I use it often. Thanks to everyone who put their knoweledge out there for all to use:big_smile:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Bill I call it my trigger , I love the curl it gives..>

ABSOLUTELY, Jim! I've never seen anything quite like it!

< And have over a 90% hook-up ratio>

That's what I have been screamin' for quite sometime, Vince, yet there are still the doubters. People always say that with all the different methods, one is not necessarily better than the other, but that is simply NOT true. The snell IS SUPERIOR, for hookup ratio. Of course, then there are the Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus circles, Power Pro braid, and Abu Garcia... :wink::big_smile::wink: Did I say SUPERIOR??!! :big_smile:

Bill in SC

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm a little confused.......I've read posts by some that say the snell does no good at all on a straight shanked hook; that the eye has to be offset either forward or backward to get the benefit from the snell.

The diagrams provided on this thread show what looks to be straight shanked hooks.

Any comments?

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Thanks John for the picture. I use the Uni snell all the time. I tried other versions but it seems quick to tie and the tag end doesn't come undone like some other versions. At first I had a time with snells but now I can do one about as fast as any other knot.