Snelling Hooks what to do with other end

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by my4x4awd, Aug 27, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I hope I posted in the correct area. I got some good tips here and snelled some hooks. But now what do I do with the end. Do yall put a loop or blood knot or what to attach to the line. I use swivels sometimes with Texas/Carolina/3-way rigs, so that is easy. When we fish the Dam we dont use weights or swivels so how do I connect the line. I thought about using a loop and then tying it with a trilene knot. You guys catching the big boys help me out here!

Thanks Craig

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I connect it to the swivel with a cinch knot or improved cinch knot. Works like a champ. When not usein a swivel the choice would be what you know works for you and you are good at tiein it.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the improved clinch knot... of course I haven't caught anything heavy enough to test it...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cross river *THEN* insult alligator.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dang Big George you're fast...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The best way to get the better of temptation, is just to yield to it.Clementina Graham.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I use a swivel as well and polymer knot to it on both sides...

You could always just snell the hook right on your main line if you just using line and hook.. After you snell a couple hooks, really aint hard to get it down pretty well... I've done it in the dark with very little light....

6. Crayzie

Crayzie New Member

State:
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    I just got done snelling some hooks for leaders for future use.. for the other ends I just made a surgeon's loop..

7. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I tie all free ends of line to the swivel with a double clinch knot, or so I'm told.:roll_eyes:

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If you are not using a swivel and want to tie the leader line to the main line then I always use a Surgeon's knot, very simple to tie and very, very strong. I posted a couple pics of how it's done or search google for "animated fishing knots"

Attached Files:

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a snap swivel on the end of the main line, then tie a loop in the end of the leader and snap it on with the swivel. That way I can change, remove with out having to cut the leader.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use swivels and snell my hooks. I make a surgeons loop like some of the others thats posted here which is just an over hand knot except you go through the loop twice then pull it tight in the loose end. I loop that in the swivel which makes it the same as going through the swivel twice with the line and it makes it quick to replace a hook and easy to do at night. It also makes it simple and easy to change hook sizes when fishing different places.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can tie the snell line (leader, I guess) straight to your running line with a surgeons knot if the diameters are not different by too much. As a rule, I don't try to tie 2 lines together with a surgeons knot if they differ by more than a factor of 3. For example, I'll 10 and up to 30, or 8 and up to 20, or 20 and up to 60, etc. If they differ by more than that, you'll need a differnt knot.

You can also just tie to each end of a swivel, just for a convenient way to attach...

12. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks to all good advice!