Snelling Circle Hooks For Trot & Limb Lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by kyredneck, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've made a total changeover to circle hooks for trot and limb lines this year. I read a post by Griz a year or so ago where he pointed out [and I think provided a link also ] concerning the improved hook up rate of circle hooks by snelling them vs. using other knots; improved by as much as 30% more hook ups.

Well, guess what; I've snelled 50 trots with 2/0 Eagle Claw circle hooks; 40 with 5/0 EC's; 30 with 7/0 EC's; and 24 with 8/0 Gamas, using tarred nylon twine of various sizes. To say the least, this is a lot more time consuming than making the old dropper loops I'm used to; I just hope it pays off (if it does I'll be doing more catch & release because I really don't need all those fish, just love doing it).

Oh, and i can snell hooks really good now.........

Attached Files:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like your open for business John. lol That is a good example of the way the line should come out of the hook eye. You cant put pressure on it with out the point pulling back and in. I never use anything but a snell now that I have seen the light..:cool2:

3. kansas bluecatter

kansas bluecatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    A snelled circle hook is the only way to go whether rod and reeling or running lines. I think you will find your hook up rate will be much, much higher.

4. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have had my leader line break where it comes back through the eye of the hook (last step) a few times. My son lost a nice 40+ b/c of it. Don't know what is causing it, but it does concern me to say the least. I am using 50lb mono.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It's Larry, not John.

This snelling is new stuff to me. Something else that is new to me is,,,,,,,getting old. I'm 55 now and I'm at the point where life stops giving and starts taking away, i guess. The reason I bring this up is 3-5 months ago before I bought all these circle hooks and I was doing the research and deciding if i wanted to go this route I knew then that that the eyes on the hooks needed to be turned back in order for there to be an advantage to the snell. And I bought straight eyed hooks (cheaper) WITH the intent to bend the eye back in a vise prior to snelling all those trots; and I forgot to do so. I've been occupied mentally with my granddaughter and tending to my parents and snelled all those trots with the eyes straight on the hooks. Bummer.

However, I just successfully bent the eyes back on several of the snelled hooks with two sets of pliers. It can be remedied, just gonna take a little more time; rather catch it now than never.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    John, are the eyes turned back on all the hooks you snell? Or do you snell the straight eyed hooks also?

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Then your not to far from miss remembering names too! Lmao :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well Scott, that makes me wonder.....are you snelling straight eyed or octopus hooks? I can see where that could cause the line to break at the eye of a straight eyed hook. Think about it.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Scott, I've seen some of my hooks have a little wider gap where the eye is formed.I have even seen a bur on one or two of them. I try and keep that in mind for the reasons you mentioned. If that is not the case with you check for a kink in your line when tying or maybe a little heat from some friction. :0a26:

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Your hook up rate will be higher as far as the releasing part seems like circles have a tendency to poke out an eye of the fish I don't target big fish or flatheads so... when the hook comes out there eye they usually are coming home anyways . but.... I would rather turn one loose from a circle than a throat hooked fish . Maybe my hook size is the reason for eye hooking . Just a guess .

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    You may be right about the hook size. I actually saw an In-Fishermen show just yesterday that had Douge Stange fishing for big Channel Cats. He stated that for catfish, you should use the smallest circle hook that you could get away with so you don't hook the cats in the eyes. I think they were getting cats in the high teens and low twenties and using 4/0 circle hooks.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good info, thanks Chuck. I used 8/0 for the large gills and 5/0 for the credit card sized ones last year, which was the first year I used circles. Bait size determines the hook size I use. I don't recall having any fish hooked in the eye.

13. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    In regards to the snelling of octopus circle hooks I've heard that snelling does and doesn't provide any benefits over palomar or other knots. I don't really know which knot is better to use for octopus circles. Different people say different things? However in regards to circle hook size and the hooking of the eyes of the fish, I've noticed the larger the hook the higher the probability of eye hooks, however the majority I've caught haven't been hooked in the eyes. However the other night I was using 6/0 circles and had a 23lb Blue swallow the hook. That was the first time I've ever seen a circle hook swallowed. With a larger hook the bigger the bait you can put on, and the bigger the bait (hopefully) the bigger the fish. I primarily like to use 8/0 circles. One needs to remember that catfish have extremely large mouths and many that are in the upper teens and up can easily eat a whole blue gill the size of an average man's hand. I think the eye hooking thing is just something that happens occassionaly with larger hooks, this however shouldn't deter a person from using larger hooks IMO.