Snelled Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 23, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ok this is going to sound really stupid, but what is a snelled hook:embarassed: ???

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    The snell is a knot used to tie hooks to your line or leader. After I joined this site I found out there are several different ways to tie this knot...LOL....below is a couple of them and I am sure you will hear of more..LOL:lol:

http://www.netknots.com/html/snell.html

The Snell Fishing Knot
    The Snell Knot provides a strong connection when fishing with bait and using a separate length of leader. You can only use a Snell Knot with a leader.

SNELL KNOT

1. Insert one end of the leader through the hook's eye, extending 1 to 2 inches past the eye.

Insert the other end of the leader through the eye in the opposite direction pointing toward the barb of the hook.

Hold the hook and leader ends between your thumb and forefinger of left hand. Leader will hang below the hook in a large loop.

2. Take the part of the large lower loop that is closest to the eye and wrap it over the hook shank and both ends of the leader toward the hook's barb.

3. Continue to wrap for 7 or 8 turns and hold wraps with left hand. Grip the end of the leader that is through the eyelet with your right hand and pull it slowly and steadily. Hold the turns with your left hand or the knot will unravel.

When knot is almost tight, slide it up against the eye of the hook. Grip the short end lying along the shank of the hook with a pair of pliers. Pull this end and the standing line at the same time to completely tighten the knot.

The snell knot is supposedly the strongest knot you can use but I am a lazy fisherman so use the Polomar knot on almost everything:embarassed: ..LOL On bent eye hooks I simply tie a Polamar knot around the shank of my hooks and run the leader end up through the eye of hook.

P.S. I have never lost a hook due to knot failure.:big_smile:

3. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks,
    Very interesting.
    Enjoyed the clip.
    John

4. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    George,
    You got any more clips out?
    Where can I find them?
    Thanks,
    John

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the clips, and the help!!!

6. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    I think a snelled hook just looks cool.

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Snelled hooks are the one tied to a leader and sold in packs of 6 ussually

8. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yep, these guys pretty much summed it up for you. You should be set

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I might have to give the double snells a chance.