Snelled hooks VS unsnelled

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by mbill, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Ok just looking for some input on whether or not there is a benefit to Snelling my hooks when I tie a leader or just using a Palomar knot in place of the snell. I searched the Forums and didn't find anything. If you know of one let me know if not let me know what you think about it. I am tying my own snell not the store bought already tied.
    Thanks All

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I snell my own hooks. I think they have a much better angle of bite.

3. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    Matt,
    I don't think you can go wrong with the palomar knot in general. It won't slip and it's a very fast knot to tie.
    But when making your own leader, I personally would snell my hooks. I feel there is more strength with a snelled hook.
    hope this helps!

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive been snelling my own hooks as well and after i got about 20 done and learned how to tie the knot well will told me a palomar is stronger...I use palomars more than any other knot and also was curious about the input on this! great topic matt!

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Just started snelling, I think it is a better angle for the hookset. I think the snell surprisingly can pull out under heavy load easier than a polamar, since i usually snap my leader when snagged on a polamar but just loose the hook on a snell...could just be me though. Right now I am snelling my hooks and polamaring everything else.

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'll snell or just use a palomar, i like them both. Depends on the mood I'm in I guess. I haven't seen a difference using either, to my knowledge. i think the palomar might be the stronger knot of the 2, though. Just my opinion.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Snell your hooks, palomar everything else.
    Snells will fail before a palomar does.
    Trying to rip out of snags, I've reeled in to see my hook gone, with my monofilament line still in curls from where the snells existed.
    A snell will hold up during a fight though.

9. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Depending on the hook a properly snelled hook is stronger than a palomar. The trick is getting the snell neat with no overlaps. I prefer a nail knot snell which is stronger and faster than other snells. On a straight eye hook do not go through the eye, this weakens the line when there is a lot of force it.

10. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Good post matt iam likeing ur answers ur getting ps.. Dave never listens to me lol :smile2: just kidding dave

11. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I started snelling my hooks this year, and have been really pleased with the results. They have withstood some big fish, inlcuding a 50lb. blue down on the Ohio in May. Specifically, I use the Uni-snell on my leaders. For every other knot, the regular uni-knot has been effective,and a favorite of mine. From everything I've read and been told, though, the palomar is probably about the strongest knot out there, and easy to tie, to boot.

Andy

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    You have a better chance of hooking them if you snell the hook.

13. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i always snell and make up my leaders ahead so it is ready, i retie after any sizable fish (5 # OR SO) when you tie any knot on mono line it is a good idea to spit on the knot as you pull it tight. sometimes the friction created pulling the knot tight will "burn" the mono and cause a weak spot.

14. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    If i have leader's made up they are always snelled, If its dark out and have to make a leader its polmar knot :wink: i trust a snelled hook over any other tiein method, plus the way a snelled hook hangs looks a lot better than anything else i have seen

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have used a lot of knots and prefer to snell my hooks when using a leader. I use an offest hook and run the tag end down through the hook laying alongside the hook. Using the long end I wrap it 15 times and take it up through the eye. I don't see how that could slip. I also have a difficult time thinking that it is the knot that will slip before line breakage if you have a good balance between rod flex, line strength, reel drag and fish fighting technique. But.... thats me :wink:

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I don't think you can go wrong with either one of em....I personally use the polamar knot cause I know how strong it is and it's super easy to tie!

17. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I snell all of my hooks that have an offset eye. I palomar all the others. Out of thousands of knot tests, seems like 98 or 99% of the time the simple palomar knot wins out for strength of knot with any kind of line. The only reason I snell the offset octopus circles is it seems to give me a better hookset.