Snelled Hook Tag Ends Affecting Bites?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JamisonM, Feb 3, 2007.

1. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. Each time I snell some hooks it gets me wondering. I use 40lb. mono leader and when I trim the tag end of a finished snell I notice that its kinda well, jagged. I usually trim the tag end to about a 1/4th of an inch. I think at this point I should say I use the uni snell and because I like it most. I've seen that there are different types of snells and some have the tag end neatly following the hooks shank. My question is does anyone think that the tag end on a uni snell affect bites? Does anyone trim the tag end longer and fix it to the shank so it doesn't stick out?

2. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Probably, maybe or I just don't know for sure, but I would bet a large sum of money it doesn't make any difference about that tag end..... Remember you're catching "fish" NOT rocket scientists, in some instantances the fish is probably smarter, but I've tied about every type knot imaginable and caught fish. The fish is used to eating spiny things that stick them in the mouth on occasion and I would guess they have no idea that you tied a knot with a tag end that was a little long OR SHARP and they don't know there is a fisher"person" on the other end of that line. Color of line probably doesn't make any difference either and I probably WILL get an argument about that..........If you aren't catching fish you're doing something wrong, if you're catching fish why change........?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No, the tag end will not have any effect on a bite. Think about it for a second... perch and small fish have fins (or spines, if you prefer). What is the difference between a 1/4" piece of mono and a fin? Don't think a fish even thinks about it... it just eats, and eats, and eats.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jamison I don't think a tag in ever affect the bite. Catfish are searching for food by smell and vibration, and I think this overrides everthing else. You can run your own experiment. Use one rod normal and leave a 4"-6" tag in on the other. Let us know back on your results.:0a26: :0a23:

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Have to agree with lawrence here bro, I think that the tags need to be about a quarter inch anyway.

Wheelmobile07

6. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all your replies guys. I can agree with the fish being used to it because of what they are willing to eat. I"m guessing if the fish does notice it; it more like, pain = bad, and it'll just try and take what its eating in another, hopefully less painful way. By that time it usually to late because it has a hook through the jaw. Thanks again guys.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I don't think it affects the fish taking the bait. I do trim them, but it is my way of checking the knot. Just a personal thing.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with everyone else I don't think it affects the bite.