Snell or not to snell??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KanHeadhunter, Mar 31, 2006.

1. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I know it is best to use a snell knot with circle hooks with a bent eye!! My question is do you use a snell knot on circle hooks that don't have a bent eye? I have some Daiichi circle chunk Lt. hooks that have a straight eye. I was thinking of just put the polymer knot on them.

2. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Those are the same hooks I use and have fished both ways. I still believe from everything I have read along with looking at the way the hook hangs from my leader that there may be a definite advantage to snelling them.

3. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I don't like how the snell lays on the straight hooks. I have had such good luck on octopus circle hooks that I have gone to the exclusively.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When you snell a straight shank hook, either go through the eye first from the bottom up (barb side toward outside) or don't go through the eye at all. That's right, don't go through the eye at all. A properly tightened snell will not slide over the hook eye. Lots of comercial hooks (mostly used in other countries) don't have eyes at all, just a knob or flattened spot on the end so they wont slide through the snell.

And, I would think you'd be better snelling them. A palomar knot can get turned a bit so the hook is not hanging straight anymore.

Then again, I don't fish circle hooks. I prefer kahles, and snell all of those.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I snell all my hooks, though the method I use wouldnt work without the eye!

6. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I love to snell all hooks that have the bent eye. Other wise I use the palomar knot. Like others said there has to be something to hold the knot not just the hook shank. My problem with the snell is my eyes my arms arn't long enough LOL