Snell Knots

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by MAX1955, Feb 14, 2008.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've seen two different ways to tie a snell knot in the libary and other threads. Is one better that the other, also is the snell better than the palomar for hook setting. From what I read it seems to be. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. WillyZ

WillyZ New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I prefer this one http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php which I think is the same one in the library. I prefer the snell on all my hooks, and palomar for swivels and such. Even the best tied knots will sometimes slip and rotate around the eye of a hook, sometimes even causing a break at the knot...won't happen with a snell. Hooks with offset eyes are good for snelling.

WillyZ

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The snell as featured in the animation above is a good knot to learn. It is especially useful when you need to tie a two hook rig. Instead of trimming the tag end as shown leave it long and attach the lower hook to it.
    Something to watch out for when using the snell is the sharp edge that is sometimes left on the very end of the wire after the eye of the hook has been formed. This can sometimes cut the first wrap of the snell under load...W

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    if tied right a snell knot will hook the bottom jaw everytime which will prevent pull outs

5. WillyZ

WillyZ New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Very good point. I always try to get the loop on the other side of the eye so that don't happen. Other knots that slide around the eye are sure to find that sharp edge sooner or later...specially when the biggun is on. I'll have to try the two hook rig, thanks for sharing that.

WillyZ

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I personaly have not seen any improvement in using snelled hooks, as in the hook in the bottom jaw, and have not had any issues with using a different knot on my hooks other than snelling them. Although my leader line would be called overkill by most. When I did use snelled hooks I snelled them myself with 30lb test and it is a clean look.

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    WillyZ for some reason I can't bring that animation up it doesn't show pictures. I assume it is the uni snell where you loop it then make your wraps, its what I saw in the libary. I was wondering how you guys feel about the knotless snell. The reason I ask is it seems awkward making a uni snell, and the knotless snell is alot easier. The knotless snell seems to hold alright, but I'm sure of its knot strenth. Any help would be much appreciated. I currently use the palamor knot 90% of time.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Mike, the knotless knot is real easy to tie, and gives great strength.
    I've been using it for several years now and never had the knot itself come undone.

:004:

9. Baitcutter

Baitcutter New Member

State:
    VA
    Since switching to the snell my hookup rate has definitely improved and nearly all cats are hooked in the lower jaw or corner of the mouth with Gamakatsu Octopus circles.