Snell Knot

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by eaglesfan00000, Jan 16, 2006.

1. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just learned how to tie the Snell Knot.
    It took alot of practice since I had to figure it out with drawing on the web,
    anyway it looks like the strongest knot you can tie. I'm exicted

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congratulations on the snell, it and the palomar are 2 of the best knots.

3. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Way to go Eagle!Man,it took me a while before i could tie one.You ought to look at Big George's Tackle organization thread.He tie's him a bunch up,(leaders),keeps them in little indivdual bags.I started doing it that way,sure saves you some time!Think this is the one.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581 Ernie

4. eaglesfan00000

State:
    Virginia
    That is the way to go, What knot do you use to tie the leader too?

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I use the uni-knot snell and a cinch knot to connect the leader to the barrel swivel on the main line.

6. eaglesfan00000

State:
    Virginia
    Ok thanks for the help, I used to do the palomar knot but i like the snell better
    thanks alot

7. eaglesfan00000

State:
    Virginia
    I did somemore research on snell knots and it say's the palomar knot is the best but that the snell knot is for leader's only. Has anyone heard this??

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Something that I am trying to get through my head is if the snell is the strongest knot, then why attach it to the mainline with a lesser knot.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I thought there was only one way to snell a hook, then one day I saw a guy on TV do it a different way. His way was a lot easier. I think it may have been Mark Sosin, but I am not sure.

The "new way" I learned did not involve making the loop and running the end back through. If I could explain it in words, LOL, I would!!

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    There is a way of making a snell that I have seen in a few places like a kite fishing site and an off shore site. You put 3/8 inch of line through the eye, make about 12 wraps around the shank of the hook and the 3/8 piece of (tag end) line and put the long end back through the eye in same direction you put the short end and pull tight! It is very fast to tie, you can do it in the dark, it is very strong and in some cases can come loose I used it for awhile and had it come loose twice out of say thirty ties! I stick with the uni -snell now!
    You can not have the line attached to the rod to do this either!

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    DeltaLover that is the exact way I tie it!! You described it well. I don't wrap it but about 5-6 times because I too have had slips when I did more. Never had one pull off on a fish.

I did have some problems with the other style of snell though. The line would rub in the little crease formed by the end of the hook around the eyes. I cut two hooks off that way and then started using the "new way" of tieing.

12. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Just out of curiousity,Do super braids have a higher slippage rate with a snell than monos and if so how do you increase the braids effectiveness with the snell?

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would not use braid to attach a hook anyway. I think mono does a better job and I love all the choices for leaders! Would the snell knot hold? I think maybe the uni-snell might hold, but I would try it on a scale before going for any record fish!

14. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    What monos are you using for your leaders nowadays Phillup?