Snell Knot?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chrisingeorgia, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Is anyone using snell's to attach leader to hook? I just got some of the gamakatsu 8/0 octopus hooks and noticed the eyes are upturned and look perfect for a snell knot. I've only tied snell's for practice but never really used one before. Thought I would give it a try.

2. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I still tie mine on with my regular trilene knot or my revamped double fisherman not. I fish the same hook you have. holds just fine..

3. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    It just seemed like the hook would hang at an awkward angle with any other knot. Maybe it's supposed to?

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I snell all my hooks. There is a GREAT! video on here by Big George that shows you a good way to snell, along with some really good observations they way the hook hangs, hook setting, etc.. If you snell one then just kinda look at it.. I've personally notice you seem to get much better hook control, better hook sets, and the hook stay much more inline.... I would highly recommend you watch his video if your wondering about snelling hooks..

P.S. .. Put on a army helmet first, it seems to help quite a bit.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Snells are meant to keep the line in a straight line with the shank of the hook. We have a few articles on how to tie them in the library here. And in particular here and here and here. Other knots will hold it, but the snell is the best way by far in my opinion. Hope this helps.

6. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Yep, I snell all my Gama Circles. It's an easy knot to do after you've tied it once or twice. Doug

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I snell all my hooks. The ones with streight eyes I bend a little so it hangs right when snelled.

8. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Uni's my favorite snell knot. It's dirt simple and strong. It's like a super granny knot. It does hold the hook at a good angle for setting, but you don't need a hook with an offset eye IMO. I'll bend the eye of my J style hooks, but not my kahle or circle style hooks. All you have to remember is that when tying you start by putting your leader material through the opposite side of the hook away from the point (the back of the hook). That way, when you're done tying the hook will hang with the point of the hook pointing to the leader or at least going in the same direction as the leader.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I snell all my hooks without any problems.:lol: :big_smile:

10. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Getting good at the Palomer but still struggling witht the snell. Tied the one on animated knots.com but couldnt get it right. Any other suggestions?

Dru

11. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try the uni snell. Here's a link that Bryan already posted about it. Just give it some practice and you'll have it. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38761

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yeah, I'll use a snell but I usually just make them up (hook snelled to leader-line) the night before so I'm not "fiddelin around" on the bank any longer than I already do! haha!

14. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The only type of hooks I use a snell with is the octopus with the upturned eyes. Any other hooks I use the trilene. Both are great knots to use, I just prefer the snell with the type of hooks you are using.

15. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I would like to know which "turned" eye you brother's prefer....Upturned or downturned....What's the difference in performance????DemoMan

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

Thats a great question! I want to know the same thing.

17. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Doesn't matter to me. Like I said before, I'll bend the eye on J style hooks and leave circle and khale hooks alone. For them the eye doesn't have to be bent since the point of the hook isn't pointing strait up with the shank of the hook. The point is usually pointing at mid shank or around the eye of the hook and when you snell it the point will be in better line with your leader.

18. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info....DemoMan

19. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I snell all my hooks.