Snell Knot- How do I tie one?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by wishiwasfishin, May 5, 2006.

1. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    man for some reason i can't seem to be able to figure out a snell knot so i guess i'll go back to the old palomar knot. what knot do you guys use?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I stick with the palomar. It's always served me well.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Actually I am usually in to big of a hurry to mess with snells...on my hooks with bent eyes like the Octopus hooks..I simply tie a polomar knot around the shank....run the piece of line that your going to make the leader of up through the eye.....wala....my version of a snell....LMAO...never had one break or come untied....yet...LOL:big_smile:

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I use the palomar knot on everything i can.

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
  6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I cant even say Snell Knot three times fast. I like the polymar too.

7. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
  8. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
  9. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
  10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    man i have been trying for a while and i just can't seem to get one that looks right. they hold but i just don't trust them. the palmor has always worked but i was retieing my hooks and decided to try something different. all i was able to do was drive the hook in my finger:crazy: i think i need to see someone tie one because i can't understand those pictures.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Easy snell (right handed) hold the hook shank on < side, barb on > side run line down v through the eye 3/4 of the shank and pinch it to the back side of the shank with your left hand. with your right hand take the other end of your leader (wont work with main line) and wrap it tightly starting at the eye down the shank 7 or 8 times while holding tight let go of the tag end in your left hand and grab the coils so they dont unwind while you bring the leader end back up^ through the eye with your right and start to pull it tight, pinch the tag end again with your left hand (to keep it from coiling up with the rest) wet it and pull the leader line coils should sinch up to the eye and stay. takes me 3 seconds to twist up this easy snell.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Everybody says you can't tie a snell knot on your main line -- that you have to have a leader where you can get to both ends of the line. Maybe there are some knids of snell knots where that's true, but there are variations where it's absolutely not necessary -- I do it all the time and there's really not that much to it.

I learned recently how to tie a snell knot where the line goes through the eye of the hook only one (or even not at all for hooks without a bent eye). It's incredibly strong and really not hard to tie. I knocked out about 20 walleye leaders the other night in under an hour.

This web page illustrates tying this knot: http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtechequip/techniques/knots/common_snell_steps.html

But as with any knot, if you can visualize what you're trying to end up with and - especially - if you can watch someone else tie it once or twice, it all becomes a lot easier.

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I use a knotless knot to snell with. Holds real good and easier to tie than a snell snot.
    I'll post a BOC link to it tonight.
    Will

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
  15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  16. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Thanks, thats one more site for the favorites button.

17. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Cut your length of leader,run an end through the hook eye 1 and a 1/2 inches and make 8-10 wraps around shank and line with the long end and finish by running the end of the long line back through the eye and pull it tight.
    Tie it to a swivel on main line and yer done.

My question is this;
    I use the snell on my hook because i believe it keeps the hook straight compared to the polamar know.But alot of people compare knot strengths between the two snell/polamar.
    Believe they are both equally strong.
    Like i said,i use the snell for my hooks but tie a polamar on the swivel,so its got to be as stronger or stronger otherwise imma gonna lose my fish.

I'd go with what works for you,if your happy with polamar go with it,if ya like the snell use it.I haven't noticed a difference in knnot strength between the two.