Snell knot for flathead catfishing?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by goodyear, May 8, 2007.

1. goodyear

goodyear New Member

State:
    Lawton oklahoma
    Has anyone ever tried a snell knot on a circle hook, fishing with live bluegills. I heard its supposed to drasticaly improve your chances of a hook up. i have allways used a palomar knot. I threw in a illustration of a snell knot can anyone tell me if this looks wright. Thanks

2. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    but i free spool with the bait clicker on and let them run a sec before i thumb the spool and LET the rod set the circle hook

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  4. goodyear

goodyear New Member

State:
    Lawton oklahoma
    I dont know if its just me but i cant tie a dam snell knot, I think its some sort of mental block I just cant get it wright:angry: But thanks for the attachment. I will keep practicing. maybe I will just stick with my polomer and cinch knots.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know the feeling... like picking fly poop out of pepper with boxing gloves on... by the time I get some knots tied, fishin' season is over...:lol:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Born free...Taxed to death.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    That is the same snell knot That I use. just a word of advice, before you pull the knot tight stick the snell in Your mouth and get it wet. also grab the tag end with a pair of pliers and cinch it down tight. both of these things will help you tie a tighter snell. I only use octipus style hooks (circle and regular) with the laid back Eye. If the eye is not laid back I see no advatage in snelling. super strong I have never had one break!

7. hogeye12779

hogeye12779 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Snelled knots have worked great for me but like said previously, make sure that it is a hook with the eye laid back.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
  9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    What is the advantage of using a snell knot? I fished with someone one time that snelled some of my octopos circle witht he offst eyes and the line seemed to rub on the eye and cut the line when I was fighting a big fish.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Jason,

It's in your mind....I'm the same way....I can tie a snell knot, but can't put a loop in a line above the weights....But the snell knot you have in your attachment is the one that's caught my eye and I'm gonna try....Also, I've noticed in an ad that I saw....A hook with a snell knot with "shrink tubeing" heated around the hook eye and knot.....That's something that interested me....I would like to know what heat source they used that close to the line without harming the line????Dwight

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'm gonna go against the flow here, but I never snell a circle hook.
    The way I see it, I want the connection between the line and the hook eye to "pivot", so to speak.
    If you picture the fish swimming away from you with the hook in his mouth and the line sticking out, a non-pivoting knot like a snell could "pry" the hook right out of the fish's mouth.
    I always snell non-circle hooks, but I always tie on my circle hooks (which I use almost exclusively) with the Uni-knot. I even pull the tag end with pliers like Doug Stange (from IN-Fisherman) recommends so as to leave a little loop at the end for the hook eye to pivot better.
    If you look at salt water circle hooks, you'll see some of them come with rings in the eyes just for that reason....
    Do as you like, but that's my reasoning.
    Tony

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    A trick I use to learn a new knot, I use a piece of trot line or a small rope on a piece of wire. I bend a eye in the wire like a hook eye. You would be surprised how much this helps.

13. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Thanks for posting that site Jeb. Very useful!:smile2:

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have never tied a snell knot before last night. it took me around 20 minutes to get it right, but after that it is like any other knot. when i cinched it down it was one of the strongest, tightest knots i have seen. i cant wait to try it tonight. i was looking for a diffrent way to tie on my octopus hooks.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I would suggest looking at this [thread=24644] Video [/thread] by Big George.
    Those that are having trouble, the first thing you need to do is get yourself a Brain Bucket.:big_smile:

Also, a Vise a key in making consistent snells imho.. Seems you make a much stronger knot, eaiser with it.. Save the fingers too from the lazer sharp hook points :smile2:

16. goodyear

goodyear New Member

State:
    Lawton oklahoma
    Thanks Tim that gave me some good ideas. I will have to try that:smile2:

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i always snell a hook with an up or downturned eye. for cats i use an octopus circle, the vmc vanadium are the best i have found. the snell knot i tie is called a uni snell. i tried to tie it like i saw on in fisherman and couldn't get it to work. i also wrap the hook shank 8 or 9 times. might sound overkill, but it has never failed me. it's worked on flatties, blues and channels. i have to second brad on lubricating the knot before you pull it tight. any knot, but especially the snell, generates a lot of friction if dry, and will guarantee the line to snap.

18. Crazy_Cooter

Crazy_Cooter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is no advantage on using a snell knot unless the eye of the hook is turned up or down. The advantage of using a snell knot on these types of hooks is that the tension and weight is distributed on the shank of the hook, rather than on the smaller surface area of the eye. I learned how to snell hooks after watching one of the IN Fisherman videos and it's almost like second nature now. Practice is key, and so is using heavy line.

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    mm, I don't know if I agree with that personally. I use a snell no matter if the eye is turned or not.. Playing around with it, sure does seem to me get much better power to the point than a regular knot.. I also seem to have alot more hook control with the force getting pulled up the shank..

I could be wrong (hey, its happened before :p ) but thats what I've noticed

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have always tie a plamor knot and it always work for me.