Sneaking into a Catfishing pond

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Muleskinner, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Me and my brother had snuck off on some ranch property when we were both not even teenagers yet. We were always into something mischievous. Just being boys I guess. We never did anything really bad. Not nothing that would hurt anyone but us maybe. But anyhow we had heard that the ponds on this cattle ranch was loaded with some monster catfish. Well we couldn't stand it no more. We was looking for something to do one summer afternoon while we were out of school. That just happened to be what we decided to do. so here we go down to our famous crawfish hole to get us some bait. Well we caught us a coffee can of crawdad's and here we go on our Mountain bikes. Had our poles strapped on to the homemade rod hangers on the side of our bikes. I had the can full of crawdads hanging with a piece of string to my handle bars. Then Jason had our little tackle box hanging on his. Man we were ready to go. So we took off down the old John Moore road. This is an old logging road it used to be the public road. It was real muddy we were proud of that we were seeing how much of that old red mud we could sling on each other. That old road took us all the way to the back of that ranch where the ponds were at. We knew that the owners didn't live there they just checked on it occasionally. So we reached the gate nearest the pond where we would go in. We opened the gates and rode on down to the ponds. Well actually they are lakes. This is what the ranch was named after Twin lakes Ranch. So we get our hooks baited up and casted out. Wow the action was immediately on. We were catching them left and right. After about an hour all the sudden there popped a truck coming through the ranch right towards us. He came over the hill and was right there on us before I knew what had happened. I hollered at Jason I said lets get out of here. I grabbed the stringer full of fish and I had my old Zebco 888 casted out there as far as I could get it. I started reeling that thing in. It was geared so low it was taking forever.I just said to myself forget it. I will just tie it on to my bike and let it drag behind me. I wasn't about to leave my rod and reel behind. We was kind of poor I knew that I wouldn't get another one to maybe "CHRIST"mas. I looked up and Jason was already going out the gate on his bicycle. So I jumped on my bike had my reel strapped down and the stringer of fish in my hand. It was difficult to ride because the fish was so heavy. But I managed to take off. I was going just as hard as I could pedal that bike. Then just before I made it to the gate that doggone old treble hook got hooked on a root. Shoot O must have had 50 pound test line on that old reel. Because it snatched my bicycle sideways and the fish were already hanging off that side so down I went I wrecked my bike. It didn't hurt me just my feelings. Anyhow it was the overseer of the ranch. I just set there and waited on him to get to me. I could have left my reel but their was no way in the world. Back them in those days it was not a problem for an adult to give a child a whipping even if it wasn't your child. The only thing that would happen when your mama and daddy found out about it. Was you got another one for being bad. They would have never said anything to the other adult except that they were sorry that the child give them a problem. I promise you they wouldn't be trying to sue that person at all. But I was ready to get my tail whooping. I would rather take that than to lose my fishing pole. So when he got over there to me and seen what had happened. he just started laughing at me. Then he told me to call my brother back and we could go back fishing. He said from then on don't sneak in from the back side and make me have to come all the way over here just to see who it is. He said come through the front gate and tell me your going fishing. So we did several times after that. But you know what it was much more fun fishing there when we were not supposed to be there.

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great story bro reminded me of some of those watermelon patches down in Ms:cool2: rep to you:cool2:

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Dang good story, Muleskinner:lol:

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for shareing your story. J.D.

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    that was a great story thanks for sharing!

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good story. I loved it. Old School.:cool2: :big_smile:

Thanks for posting it.:smile2:

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Boy does that bring back memerys.Thanks for sharing with us.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good story. I liked it

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the story. Definitely brings back memories from childhood.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good story. I've taken a mess of those wuppins myself. LOL!

12. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great story. If things were only like that these days. Welcome to the BOC.
    Rob

13. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I've had similar situations and let me tell you it does get the blood pumping. Growing up, there were two roads that paralleled each other, but you had to go a 1/4 mile to cross 1 to the other; unless, a couple boys decided to trespass through an elderly lady's property. So, that's just what we did, she caught us once and we retreated. We waited a while; then once the coast was clear, we began to tactifully move through her yard saving us a lot of walking. Of course we had to be boys and yell at the lady, "We made it, what you gonna do now!" Ha ha ha ha and then, "BANG." I said "Holy #$%#, she's shooting at us." I didn't know if she was aiming at us, but it didn't take my military training to learn how to low crawl. I learned that you shouldn't disrespect your elders.

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Thanks for the laughs and good memories this morning!!

15. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    that was a great story, its always nice to start my day off with a smile
    Sharon

16. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's a great story...brings back some memories for me too...those people who still let you fish are much better than the ones who don't....

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thanks for sharing that story. I know what ya mean when you said it was more fun sneaking in.
    Bill

18. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a great story reminded me of some of my own back in the day!