Sneak Peek at a Primo custom Rod Rack Fabrication

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SkipEye, Jul 16, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Here are a few advance shots of my rod rack fabrication from last night. A race car fabricator buddy of mine gets the credit for working out the custom fit.

I plan on submitting a more detailed write-up in the near future.

Right now the unit is getting the final weld-up and then off to be powdercoated. Yep, I said powdercoated. It is going to be one BAD MOFO rod rack. Set up to accept driftmasters of course!

A full write up will be provided once I get it finished and tested out on the water.

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A couple more shots. It's going to be a good one!

Attached Files:

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's a nice looking rod holder rack you have there. What did you build it out of ? I recently had one built out of aluminum that I like really well,but it was a little cashy,with the price of aluminum these days. I'll try to get some pictures of mine and get them posted.

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Mine is built out of Chrome-Moly steel and is custom fabbed from one length of steel, plus powdercoated. This one will also be, as you put it, "CASHY". :wink:

But you can't put a price tag on having the baddest rod-rack in town.:smile2:

5. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is the coolest, baddest rod holder I've ever seen!

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    What did you use for the bases for the driftmasters. Are they welded to the top of the pipe or recessed into it?

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

We machined some mounts from solid bar stock, contoured to fit the pipe with a notcher, threaded them, welded directly to the pipe. Double nutted the driftmasters to keep them rock-solid.

This thread originally didn't generate any interest so I killed the review and publication.

Have got to use it now and it is SWEET!:cool2:

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looks very nice Darryl. Should give some of the guys some good ideas on building one. Might be able to go to a muffler shop or some where that has a bender and fabricate one. Thanks for posting it...

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Darryl That is one nice rod rack. I could see this ending up in the library, with a few more details. Thanks for sharing.:smile2:

10. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thats a good lookin rod rack.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I love the name of your boat. BTW,is that a roll cage for a race car I see in the background of one of the pictures. Racing is another one of my passions.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice Rack! :big_smile:

13. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm officially jealous of that rack. Yep, very nice. Looks sturdy enough you could tow someone with it.

Yours is very similar to the one I was modeling/test fitting as a low-poly 3D model...just a whole lot slicker than mine. ;) I'd love to see more detail on how you mounted those driftmasters...

Attached Files: