snares

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by justwannano, Sep 3, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Anybody use snares?
    I do and love them.
    They are quick and easy to set.
    Even though they are cheap I generally make my own.
    ~just~

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Bob, How are ya? I didn't think anyone did snaring these days. What is your prefered rig and game? Later Andy

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I havent trapped since the 80's. Back then I ran a long line and got tired of trap thieves taking my sets. I heard about snares and ordered every thing I needed and learned to make my own. Best thing I ever did.

I targeted coons, coyotes, fox and beaver with them.

4. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would use them, but the state of oklahoma outlawed they some years back.

bill.

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Have never used them, but am panning on getting some this and trying them for fox and coyotes .... that is if I am smart enough to learn how to do it .... don't know if this old dog can learn any new tricks or not ....:smile2:

Garry-

6. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hi Andy
    I'm doin fine.
    Hope you are too.
    I belong to a couple of trapping forums. Its amazing how popular snaring is becoming. Probably the cost of gas. Lots of guys are trying it. Heard of a couple of big trappers making 200+ snares for their own use.
    Back more years ago than I can believe I added snares to my trapping. Had too many traps stolen.
    Its better to have a snare worth a dollar stolen than a $12.00 conibear.
    Anyway when I started having problems with my hips I quit trapping and just this year I decided to try it again.
    After looking at my dismal supply of traps I started making snares.
    I'll just trap easy to get to road ditches.
    I really liked mink trapping but I still have to be careful in rough terrain so its coon and Yotes in road ditches I guess.
    Anyway they are doing a few things different than I did so its a little different than 20 years ago.
    Have a good one
    just

7. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hi Garry
    As long as you know how to make a blind set you'll get along fine.
    Check your state regs as to loop size and hang the snare where the critter will put his head.
    have a good one
    just

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've used them a bunch years ago in Alaska for fox and coyote... They work great if you find the right spot for them...a crossing under a fence, a trail in the dirt or snow that goes under a log or through somekind of funnel/chokepoint works awesome...

9. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I love snares. They are a big part of my beaver trapping arsenal. Secondary feed trails that are only gona produce one animal, gets a snare from me. I never use them on main trails that will produce multple catches though. A beaver on a leash will look like a bomb went off. Them suckers will mow everthing down. I use a berkshire disposable stake on a piece of 11 gauge wire for my holddown point. A 12 inch wooden lathe with a piece of 11 gauge wire drove in the ground right beside the trail is what I use for a support. All my snares are loaded. Made a huge difference in my number of knocked down snares.

Coyotes are easy to snare also. Don't do it much anymore, but a good crawlunder or just a good coyote trail is pretty easy to find in my neck of the woods. Setting up carcass piles and then snaring the trails leading to them, have probably been my best sets for yotes.

I guess I'm just an idiot, but never had much success snaring coons. I know a bunch of folks do it, but I finally gave up on it and just stick to the conibears on blind set dryland coons.

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Eric ... Not having used snares before ... would you mind explaining loaded to me ... Thanks ... Garry-

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love using snares. They are easy to set up and fast. I get mine all out before season starts just not set. On opening day as I am setting my other traps all I have to do as I go by my snares is hang them. Being able to preset locations before the start allows me to have a bunch more sets ready to catch fur on first day. Garry, I will try to explain loading...if you hold your snare wire it has a nature curve to it. If you take the natural curve and run your wire around a pipe in the same way giving it a little tighter curve it makes the snare react much faster. Its kind of hard to explain but if you can order a DVD called High performance Snaring with Clint Locklear he is one of the best I know with snaring. I hope that helps...Roger

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Just like Roger said, except that i use a piece of rebar to run the snare wire around to give it the memory he's talking about. I just had better luck with the rebar than smooth pipe. I've also seen it don on a piece of angle iron.

13. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yup what they said.
    Be careful pulling it too hard over a small diameter or you will have a coil instead of a easy loop.
    good luck
    just

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've caught some nice beaver too using snares. I always waited until they had their food cache established and the ice froze up good. Then cut 2 or 3 holes in the ice around the food cache and set the snares hanging below the ice. I also may add a bunch of fresh shaved willows through the ice too for added attraction. Caught some really nice one this way in my alaska days.....:wink::smile2: