Snares

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by catfishingRon, Sep 29, 2007.

1. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Can anyone tell me how to make a homemade snare. Im not sure what to use for a locking device. Also, does anyone have any 220 traps they want to get rid of. I need to purchase some.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ron,You can buy snare locks,ready made at trapping supply houses. You can also make your own from 1/2" washers,just bend to 90* then drill a hole on each side of the edge at the outward most edge andmake sure to place it with the 'L facing the loop that way when it tightens it will not come loose.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
  4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Unless you have a good supplier for the cable, I have found you can buy ready made snares cheaper than you can buy the cable at the hardware store..

5. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'm sure you know this but a word of caution..when a 220 goes off there is no letting go of a none targeted species...watch where you set them..:wink:

6. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't forget to make SURE you know the regulations on snare use in Illinois . We have to have a deer stop as well as a swivel on the end now and can only be used in water half submerged .

Camlocks are my favorite for beaver . They are fast and can be set semi selective to help avoid an otter catch as we can't keep them in Illinois either .

If you join your state trappers assoc. you get a subscription to the trapper and predetor caller . Inside are a lot of trapping supply dealers as well as a collum by the state trappers president helping to keep us informed on what is going on with legislation before it becomes law . We just had a convention this weekend in Fairfield , Il . There were some great deals to be had . If you need information on how to join PM me or with any questions I may be able to help with .

220s are another deal , like was said earlier you can't release a non target alive . Be very careful in where and how you set one . Like any other trap they are a tool that has a specific use . It is an ongoing battle to keep trapping with all the Anti lies being spread . Even setting legal it can backfire . New York state is now looking like they will loose the 220 on land because of non target catches . They were set legal and the dogs caught as wel as their owners were tresspassing . The media took care of the rest it seems . These were just 3 non target catches too .

Pete

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always used to buy them fairly cheap. but if you are going to make a bunch it might be cheaper if you buy a big spool. But it is going to keep you busy for a while

8. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    As with anything else look around for the best price.
    I made them for about a buck apiece.
    Its easy to make deer stops.
    Just find a piece of break line. Cut 1/4 inch pieces with a tubing cutter. Hammer it on.

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    The Snare Shop---look for it on line--- sells 7x32 aircraft cable. 100 feet for $8.00.
    You should be able to buy all the parts you need to make your own from them and still keep the price around $1.00 each.

best of luck
    just

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i wouldnt buy anything from them anymore since they got new owners they have gone down hill. i bought 1000 feet of cable from them and most of it was junk(s'd cable)there are others that have good stuff and you can trust them to allways have it pm me and i will give ya some names

11. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Sorry about your bad experience.
    I sure would have complained.
    I was really just documenting how cheaply you can purchase cable and parts to make your own snares.
    the best to ya
    just

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

its nothign torwards you i just wanted to toss that out there. snares can be made cheaply no doubt.i make all mine for around a 1.00 a peice.but you got to have good cable to start makeing a snare .if its s'ed then it will not close right or will have so much drag in it ,it will render it useless.qhen you buy cable there are many good places to buy from(except the snare shop) snareone is a good place along with many others.i run through 200 plus snares a season sometimes more than that,along side my steel traps.good straight cable is a must.

13. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had heard some bad reports while at convention as well . Sad he bought a business and is taking it dowhill . Rally Hess from MN does a real good supply business , that seems to be where the disgrntaled shoppers went . He is a heck of a beaver snaresman as well . Not all cable is crated equal as well so beware if it looks like too good of a bargain .

14. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    I met the other owners at a convention a few years back and the are the reason i got to useing snares on beaver.A great product and good people why did they sell out.I was just getting ready to recomend them when i read the post about the new owners.

15. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i bought from them too, i bought before the now owners and was impressed with the quick shipping, i bought 1 dozen racoon snares, not sure what exact model they where, but i also orderd not to long ago, after the new owners a\had taken over, i orderd 2 dozen snares about 2 weeks ago, got it yesterday, and some snares locks where to big, and the wires where freyed? i dont know if thats the word but the wire was extremly thin in one spot, can someone name some other good online stores?

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

www.prosnares.com is a good one. www.snareone.com is another one i recomend .www.minntrapprod.com are great people

17. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i need to buy some stretchers also, but i only want to buy one of each size, cause after i buy one of each size ill make my own, yall know of a place the sells them and ships the cheep?