Snares

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Feb 21, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am about to buy some snares for racoons, and i am gonna put them under a game fence, where i see trails, how should i set them up, i have never used snares before?

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Kevin, on a open trail a 6 by 6 should work on coons a under fence crossing,

you may, not be able to get, that high, (with a larger loop, you will have more,
    body catches but you will have the coon,) I use a 8 by 8 on cats and still catch a few coons, Thats a 8 inch loop, 8 inches high, off ground. Getting to late in season now coons will be rubbed,
    Get you, a book on snareing, Its fun, and it works. Hope this helps.
    Jim

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    a 6" snare circle works great for coon an 8 for cats and fox an I like a 10-12 for coyotes the best thing with snares I like is you can haul a bunch way back in an areaand they are light and dont take a lot of space

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    when u buy a snare can u change the size of the loop? and how do u position the snare a little of the ground or what?

-thanks for the info :smile2:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Snares come preformed with a button on one end and a loop with a swivel on the other you can make the loop as small or as large as you like depending on the LENGTH of the snare wire they are sold as to type ie.24"30" 36" 42"etc you set a snare so that the target animal walks through the loop and the optimun hope is a neck catch which will quickly choke the animal

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Depends a lot on where you are setting them.
    If tex laws allow it I'd just hook the top of the loop onto the fence.You can use a twist tie.
    When setting in a trail use a 18" piece of #9 wire with a hook on the top. Push the other end into the ground and hang the loop on the hook.

I once used a horse weed stem inside a round culvert to hang the snare loop from. worked great.

Primitivefrn is right. find a couple of books. Its best to buy a current book.
    I found the old Hardings books had a lot of bad info.

best of luck
    just

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Something to remember is a snare is a one time catch most of the time. Especially when a fence is close enough for them to get wrapped up in. I personally do not use snares for coons unless its an open trail. The cost of the snare verses the price you get for the fur. I use a 1-1/2 foothold and just set it lower than the path and cover it with some grass. That way you can still reuse the trap. If the snare wire gets kinked it will not work properly. Thats just my experience. I do use snares a lot but for coyote and fox. Good luck and have fun!

8. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yup
    Beetle is right.
    They are also useful in high trap theft areas.
    When you use a snare in a fence the coon will probably climb the fence and get hung up high in the fence. Kinda like a flag for trap/fur thieves.

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    we have never had a problem with theives but you say the snare can only be used once?

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you use a small cable snare they will kink up and the slides will not slide past most kinks unless they are small but also after you use one that you have cought one on its realy hard to get a good round loop out of it again for the second use. I use mostly snares but I have started to make my owen after I bought my first few doz and learnd the different ways they were made. here is a link to were I buy all of my stuff parts for my snares my tannig solutions, I even bought my fleshing equipment and wire strechers there. seem to have good prices and they are fast on shipping. http://www.snareshop.com/cgi-bin/snareshop/index.html

11. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    You're luck about the thieves.
    Snares can be reused if you use the other end.
    Simply cut off the stop remove the snarelock and put it on the other end of the cable.

Check out the other posts about snares. I gave a description on how to make snares using supplies you can buy at your hardware store.

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    for the snare shop which snare would u get for racoons? im planning to trap under a high fence where i see the trails...