Snapping turtles

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Old Bill, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Last week I went to view the Oklahona Aquarium at Jenks, Oklahoma. Jenks is close by Tulsa.

It was well worth the trip from OKC, with displays of many, many interesting fish. There was a section containing fish native to Oklahoma. The size of the blue catfish was amazing! Boy, I'd love to catch a blue that size! There was Strippers the size of Sharks!

OK, maybe not quite that large, but very impressive never the less.

Naturally, my camera decided to mess up and I couldn't get the flash turned off...and all the photos I took were worthless!:embarassed:

However, there were two Alligator Snapping Turtles in a display that convinced me that I never...NEVER....NEVER was going to try Noodling!

These turtles were at least 2 1/2- to 3-feet across the back of their shells, and much have weighted at least 150 pounds! Their heads were at least 10 to 12-inches wide. Poor photos but maybe you can see them.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Snapping%20trutle 2.JPG

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Snaping Turtle.JPG

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I broke down in Shreveport, LA back in the mid 80s and had to stay at a little motel with the wife and kids. The people there were great, got my ride fixed and me on the way on Memorial Day weekend......anyway, they had a little pond at the motel with 3 of the biggest snapping turtles I have ever seen, got a picture somewhere around here with a whole slice of bread on one's head and it did not cover the flat spot. This is why I do not noodle.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Bill, we took the grandkids there last summer and those snappers were huge. The one catfish is the Oklahoma state record caught on Texoma. We had a blast their and would recomend anyone to visit that aquarium. They feed the sharks on certain days and the next time we go I would like to watch that.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was over in St. Louis this weekend and there were dead turtles all over the side of the road where they'd been moving from the pools leftover from the high water. You could tell they'd been hit on purpose because they were 4 or 5 feet off the road on the hard shoulder. They're annoying when you catch them (although I do get a kick out of how mad they get about it:big_smile:) but I wouldn't run 'em over just to do it. Yeah, I'd imagine even a small snapper could remove a finger pretty easily if they put their minds to it. I'd hate to pull my hand out of a hole in the bank with a notch in it like they leave in my bait:wink:

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    We also missed the shark feeding. However, watching the many types of sharks swim over our heads, in the underwater viewing areas was great! We were told that the huge Bull Shark is the largest Bull Shark in capacity. He/she was one very large shark! Nothing I'd want to go swiming with!:eek:oooh:

That is a wonderful place to take childern, and I'm sure your grandchildren will remember you taking them there for many years to come.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    There was Strippers the size of Sharks!

Got 'em around here too Bill. That's one of the reasons I quit drinkin'!

7. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Snapping turtles are seriously mean creatures:wink:. My friend snagged one in a small pond at a summer camp once. It took about 8 shots to the head to finally kill it(one of the camp councilers had to kill it).:cool2:

8. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I was a kid we found a 3 ft diameter snapper in the small creek behind my house. We got all excited and decided to take it to Grandpa to make turtle soup. We poked a broom handle at it and he snapped it like a match stick. We decided Grandpa don't need turtle soup!:crazy:

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City

:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::wink::wink::smile2::smile2:

10. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Snappers have the strongest bite force in the world

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well with all due respect. even those i would leave alone. to me a turtle is a dandy meal. and taste much better than most other meat IMO.

a 150lber is a beast that i would let go about his way. killing a turtle for no other reason but fear or fun is like setting a dog on fire. either eat em or leave em be.:wink:

thanks for sharing the pics. never seen a turtle over 40-50 lbs other than pics or tv.

12. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i heard the rumor that the snapping turtle has the 2nd strongest jaws in the world. pounds per square inch when closing its jaws, the 1st is the croc then the snapping turtle