Snapping Turtles

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by rockbass, Jan 2, 2006.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Interested to see if any other members ever go grabbing for snappers, or noodling for them as some people call it.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I had a friend that did it, watched him many times in the beaver ponds behind my dads house. I stayed on the bank and he threw them up to me. LOL I was happy just to watch him.
    He used a metal electric fence post rod to locate them and feel for the V which is the head. He would reach down to the round end of the shell (the back end) and lift them up by the tail.

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have gone out several times, but have not actually gotten my hands on one yet. Others I was with have gotten lots of them. and have been bitten. we don't use a rod or anything like that though. Just find holes in banks, under logs, stumps, rocks. In and around root systems. the occasional snake or muskrat is always fun :eek:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The neck on a snapper is much longer than most people think. I've seen snappers almost reach the hand that was holding them by the tail. And they can strike like a snake. I don't want to get close enough to one to hold it by the tail; be just my luck to run across a snapper with an extra long neck.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can have that stuff! i'll stick to my line/hook/piece of meat teqnique! the one and only time i tried noodling was when i was 13 for flats and i pulled out a blacksnake! never eeeeeever again!

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    noodling for snappers????? id think that would be painful. might get one or might lose a finger..... :glare:

7. benny12351

benny12351 New Member

State:
    Reading,pa
    I use stale bread mush it into a ball and put on a #4 hook they love it :)

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It really is not that dangerous......well other than the turtle bite, the possible snake/muskrat bite :eek:

I am talking about common snappers, not alligator snappers. A snapper will most times be facing in the hole during morning hours, and then start to turn back toward the opening. Not always true, but is a general rule. The key to keeping your fingers is to not yank your hand away if a turtle does latch on. Usually they will only bite you and immediately let go. they are defending themselves not trying to eat you. Even if you would not do it yourself, I would suggest to at least go with someone who does do it. It is an experience you will not forget.

No offense to any of the elder members of the groups here, but one of my favorite trips was with an older man who has done this for years. We started to walk a small creek that you would not even think had any minnies in it. We started walking the creek prob a mile or so from where it dumps into a larger creek then on into the river. I thought there would be no way to find a turtle there. Heck most of the creek was about 3 ft wide and maybe an inch deep..............Keep walking and then we get to some bends in this small creek where the water has washed out some deeper holes. I watch the "old man" walk into a deeper hole on a bend where there was a large root system from s tree on the bank. He is almost waste deep reaching in around the roots. nothing nothing, then in up to his chest, he says I feel one. can't find its tail :eek: I am about to tell him to get out of there cuz I thought he was nuts......then he says I got a leg.....quickly followed by ouch that son of a b**** bit me. Then another ouch....ouch. then he says I need help getting him. the man is not up to his chin in the water. the turtle kept pulling deeper into the root system which in turn pulled the old man into even deeper water. Another guy that was with us jumped in there and was trying to help, but could not reach iun far enough. With the water up to the old man's nose, he gets his head completely out of the water and say here he comes. Brought that ticked off turtle out of the water and sat down beside it on the bank to catch his breath.

I will never forget that day. It still amazes me. I know it might not sound so good to most other's, but if you were there, you would understand :D :cool:

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also wanted to add that the easiest way to get the hook out of a snappers mouth providing it is not swallowed, it to grab it by the head.....

DISCLAIMER: I am not advocating anyone trying to reach into the mouth of a snapping turtle :eek: ;)

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    wow nice story, i admit i would've been stunned at that point kinda like uhhh is this guy gonna drown infront of me?

11. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    That old man has some kahunas cause there aint no way in hell id try that.

12. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    My uncle caught two loggerheads one was 110 lbs. the other was 115 lbs. I aint about to go and try to grab one, I can show you the dent on the side of the boat the biggest one left.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope, they still call me 10 fingers. LMAO

14. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    It is hard for me to work up the nerve to hand grab the alligator snappers we have here in Louisiana. Here is a picture to show you what I mean.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I went once w/ a friend and his dad. they've done it before and I wanted to try. I carried the bag with two snappers in it because I didn't have the nerve to do it. As I was holding the bag, one of the turtles bit thru the bag and bit me right below the elbow. Still have a scar there.
    After that I decided I wasn't holding the bag anymore. I was going to get me a turtle. I drank four quick beers and started sticking my hand under these roots. 'Something' under there moved. Don't know what but something did. I jerked my hand out from there and decided that I was going to carry the bag again. Ain't been back.

16. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    That's funny BullDaddy .....:thumbsup: .....But Ive seen your alligator snappers and they would probably eat the one you have pictured...:) ...They are qiute the impressive animal to say the least.... THE CATKING !!!

17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah the alligator snappers are mean, but I would not hesitate to pick one up......they are easier to handle than a common snapper. The loggerhead turtles would be out of the question for me though;) :p

18. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I met an old professional turtle trapper many years ago at a festival who was selling turtle meat and turtle shells. This old man was missing a couple fingers on both hands. Think about it all you want-a-be turtle trappers.

19. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's funny.:0a1:

20. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Maybe a 5lb snapper and steel gloves. Might be fun with an adult beverage. Over 5lbs and I would get a lil nervy with my digits.