Snapping turtles

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by eaglesfan00000, Apr 2, 2006.

1. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Me and my friend wen't fishing today at his spot.
    When we got there I seen 3 big 25 pound Snapping Turtles
    on a log then 5 little ones and 3 more out in the deep water.
    This was a river, I told my friend this don't look so good buddy.
    He said this is a good hole, well we baited up 3 poies and the puilling
    started I said it them snapper, I reeled in my bluegill and its head was ripped
    off. Reeled in my other 2 and the were in half. Then they hit my buddy's pole
    and I was laughing at him when he reeled in his bait it was cut to pieces.
    I then put more bait on my poles and when they came again I tryed setting the hook but missed. My question is, was that just a snapping turtles den
    or a bad day. I don't think they'll leave does anyone else??

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have had the same problems, we caught over 30 snappers in about a 2 month period. We basiclly just fished them out for a whole summer and came back the next summer and the fishin was excellent.

Chris

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I don't know, but if it's legal in your state they sure do make a good soup:rolleyes:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Snappers are protected in Arkansas. So many were caught for sale in Louisiana that they became endangered here.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are you sure they were snappers? Its rare for a snapper to set on a bait and not get hooked, unless they are less than 5lbs. I've had an entire slough of other turtles that will really tear up baits. Big river cooters and sliders are terrible about it, because their mouths are so small that they have to tear peices off. Snappers prefer food that they can swallow whole. It's also pretty odd to catch a snapper sunning itself like that. I've only seen in once in my 27 years of life.

6. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm not sure, I think you are right they were just plucking it.
    They were big though, I do know they want alligator snappers,
    I was thinking common snappers. there shell was flat. And there
    were alot of them. And hungry

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    if their shell was flat i would say they are soft shell snappers. ill post more info in a min

8. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    The snapper I got cleaning out now was spotted sunning itself on a log on Friday. He wouldn't take my bait, and decided to get back in the water. So, I crawled out on the tree in full business atire...:rolleyes: grabbed him by the tail and slung him onto the bank. Anywho, it was the only time I remember seeing one sunning itself, now that I think about it.