Snapping turtle - Oh My God...Look How Big It Is...She Said!

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 18, 2008.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I was out fishing @ my usual hangout lastnight. The rain was relentless but the bite was too. I had to contend w/ the walleye anglers who like to stand in the water, right on top of my bait sometimes, so I waded out in the water myself. I had 9 nice cats on the stringer and was nailing lots of small ones as my buddy stayed on shore. He played on his cell phone most of the night then griped about not catching any fish(hmmmmm). Anyways, I felt a bump against my leg and looked down in the water thinking it was one of the many carp in the resevoir but seen nothing. After a few minutes I felt the bump on my foot and again seen nothing. We figured we would give it another half hour before we loaded up to leave then I got into another school of keeper sized cats. A couple of walleye anglers came down w/ their wives and posted up next to us and began to comment on the nice mess of fish I had. I went to add another cat to my stringer and had a hard time pulling it in!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought the fish made their way into some weeds or a snag but that was'nt the case here. The bumps I kept feeling as I stood in the water was from a monster snapping turtle:eek:oooh: who was now clamped onto my fish and refused to let go. It took 2 of us to pull my stringer in and we could'nt believe th size of this turtle. He or she was not happy to be out of the water and I was'nt happy that it destroyed 2 of my hard earned fish.
    A small crowd began to gather around and I was wishing I had my camera. "I can't believe how big it is!" one lady said. This thing was hard to measure due to it's long neck and large head but we figured it to be @ least 65 to 75 pounds with a shell that was @ least 35" across.
    I have heard that turtle taste like 5 different meats but have never cleaned or eatin one before. I lost a couple of fish but still have my toes....LOL! Does anyone have a cleaning technique and recipe for turtle?:002: thanx 4 reading!

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Check the library. Thers a good article in there about cleaning and prepping them.

3. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Thank you 4 pointing me in the right direction. I never noticed a forum 4 turtles b4.

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    snapping turtle is very good to eat. one thing you should do before cleaning them is cut the head off first just to be safe, we've had the shell bout cleaned out and down to the last leg and it still be fighting. i know it dont sound believeable but they are tough to kill. we always fried ours

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremy, has a great artical on the proper care of the meat ,cleaning and cooking snapper ,look in the library.

6. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I was'nt blowing the size of that snapper out of proportion man, it was a beast, a real dinosaur! Does a bigger turtle taste any different than a small one? I know a young deer is better on the table. Is it the same way with turtle? And thanx a million for the tips!:big_smile:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a big turtle will fill ya up faster. bout it.

slow cook or it will be tough at 2lbs or 102lbs.:wink:

follow my ins and it will be like beef pot roast.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    We have eat many turtles. They are very good eating. We fry them and they are also good in a stew. In my opinion some of the best meet you will ever eat. They can be tough to clean but worth every minute it takes.

Tom

9. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i just got done looking at jeremys instruction and the last few pictures all done and cooked looked amazing mmmmmmmmm :dribble:

10. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
  11. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    if it was as big as you say it may have ben gator snapper if so it is a protected spicies do eat it you have common snappers and florida snappers an alligator snappers the one on left is common alligator snapper is on the right thay get very big http://www.chelydra.org/common_and_alligator_snapper.jpg

12. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Has anyone ever deboned the meat before coking? Is it worth the trouble or is it better to leave the bone in for flavor?

13. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I tought about that myself. I seen an aligator snapper on t.v. before but im not sure what this one was. I don't think it's a protected species here in michigan, we have snappers in evey pond, lake and river you go to.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    leave it in. its better.

alligator snappers have protruding points on shell. a common snapper shell is basically smooth.

see the difference. alligator first. common second.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i cannot find anything saying alligator is protected in michigan.

it is in illinois.

heres mich regs on rep and amphi

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FO-224-02_182417_7.pdf

not sure there even native there.

Michigan Species

Blanding's Turtle (Emydoidea blandingii)
    Common Map Turtle (Graptemys geographica)
    Common Musk Turtle (Sternotherus odoratus)
    Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina)
    Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina)
    Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta)
    Red-eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans)
    Spiny Soft-shell Turtle (Apalone spinifera spinifera)
    Spotted Turtle (Clemmys guttata)
    Wood Turtle (Clemmys insculpta)

Michigan law protects all but snapping turtles from commercial harvest, and the wood, spotted, eastern box and Blanding's turtles are completely protected.

16. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow Rick you are lucky to still have all of your toes.

17. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Thats what i'm sayin. I'm gonna go back out in a few days and try to catch it again. I seem to have bad luck when it comes to snappers and my stringers of fish so i really don't even have to try....lol!

18. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I have only seen an aligator snapper twice in michigan, so they are'nt very common here. The one I tangled w/ the other night was definately a common snapper.....just absolutely huge.

19. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know over at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans they have alligator snappers as big as a volkswagon bug...