Snapper Story

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Old Bill, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Last week my wife saw a large snapping turtle crossing our back yard heading for our small pond.

Well, we already have enough smapping and red-eared turtles in the pond, so I went out and shot the snapper a couple of times in the head with a .22. It wasn't too large...maybe 10-15 pounds.

I just left it there in the grass, thinking I'd come back later in the day and depose of it.

However, it was the next morning before I thought of it. When I went to get it...all that was left was the top shell and the lower plate! I did find some claws, but that was about all that was left.

We have a family of coyotes living in a field next to our property, and we see one or two crossing our back yard once or twice a month.

Do you think a coyote could and would eat a snapping turtle?

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I think a coyote would eat anything:eek:oooh:. I personaly would shoot them too:wink:

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hummmm? Shoot a sweet old coyote? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Actually, I need to correct my guess on the size of the snapper. I just returned from looking (and taking a photo) of all the scattered pieces, and the trutle isn't near as large as I remembered! Kind of like a hugh flathead that I lost many years ago! That flathead is now the size of a pontoon boat in my mind!

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Turtle shell.JPG

Anyway, the turtle might have weighed 8-10 pounds?

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Why did you leave him laying in the yard? Snappers are good eating. Shoot the yotes and eat the turtles:smile2:.

Tom

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know about coyotes but i woulda ate it

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Ha! Tom, several years ago I tried to clean a larger snapping turtle...and what a mess I made! I didn't know a guy needed a hatchet and chain saw!:wink:

Last year I remember reading an article here on the BOC, with great photos, about how to clean a snapping turtle. Someday I might get up the nerve to try again...if I can find the article!:smile2:

Heck, I'm doing good to clean a catfish!

7. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    There are lotsa coyotes around my place, too, and always have been. I can't count the times I've gone out the back door in the wee hours of the mornin wakin up the neighbors by poppin off a few CCI Stingers (.22) just to get some quiet from all the howlin & yelpin of coyotes right down back of the house... the howlin & yelpin that woke me up and was keepin me awake. Funny... coyotes don't seem to care for really loud poppin or 'snappin' noises, lol... and I'm sure the neighbors don't either... but the coyotes get real quiet - real quick! (and I get back to sleep!)

Coyotes could and would eat a snapper or some other turtle. I've watched em with binoculars a time or two in the dim light of dawn... sometimes dusk... they usually don't come out until way after dusk for the most part. They do seem to have problems with the shell, though. They mostly end up eating the head/neck/legs/tail and not a whole lot more than that because the shell whips em more times than not. When they're occasionally able to get the plate loose they seem to like gnawin on it, too, from what I've seen. Just like dogs (which they're both canines), they like chewin and gnawin on bones.

Lookin at your picture, the plate seems to be near perfect. Almost too perfect. Also, it shows several small bones just below the plate. From what I've seen around here, dogs/coyotes (dogs like turtle, too, I had some that did and they'd drag up turtle shells to gnaw on) don't usually leave those small bones... if no other reason than those coyote pups like em cause thats all they get to eat sometimes. Just like dogs, coyotes'll crunch em and swallow em.

Owls are some of the few creatures in nature that can 'crack' a turtle shell. And owls like turtle meat, too. Throw some possums, coons, armadillas, skunks into the mix... maybe a rat or two... and you've got a combination of some sort that could've consumed that turtle like the pics.

But if it was coyotes, I don't think it was coyotes alone that ate that snapper.

8. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Bill, that was probably Jeremy's (cats4uandme) article you're thinkin about. Great article by the way!

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    FourWinds, I believe you are right. Today when I was picking up some of the small bones that were scattered around, the thought crossed my mind "Why didn't the little bones get eaten?" We do have a bunch of the critters you named living close by, including an owl that shows up now and again!

Today I saw two large hawks trying to trap a squirrel.

The only damage to the top shell was a rip/tear along one side. I'm now fairly sure I was wrong about how long the turtle laid there before it was eaten. It must have been two or three days, and not one, because the turtle had started decomposing (?) and leaving fluids on the ground.

I was just surprised that the head, tail and feet had been eaten.

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas

yer dern tootin!!! snapper is way better than chicken!!!

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Anyone ever eat a Coyote?I ask because I have eaten Dog,Fox,Cat(A piece of western Cougar,Bobcats,feral House Cat) and it was good.Down here they feed like Bears and Hogs eating everything.Pecans,Blackberries,Blue berries,fruit,Grapes,fish,fox,small coons & dogs,cats and everything else that they can find.They will even catch a Blue Crab in shallow salt water!I saw it on a wildlife refuge.They will also swim out and raid a Bush line set at the surface with a splashing fish on it.

Also.A Buzzard will empty any turtle shell pretty well.I have seen them clean up many down south.That head and neck is made for it.A Bald Eagle will eat one too.Also Coons catch and eat turtles and their eggs every chance they get.A Possum will eat most of the smaller bones.I have seen a "Tame" Otter come up on the bank with a small turtle and eat it's head,neck,tail and legs off.It left the body in the shell.We found them on the bank like this regular until someone caught the Otter in the Chicken house eating a hen.Dead Otter!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    colda been a coyote.i would say even some raccoons would eat it also.along with opossums or even skunks :roll_eyes:

i think i would ate it myself :eek:oooh:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Alfred I have never ate no coyote and never will. But I enjoy the He-- out of shooting them. I will stick with eating turtles. Fired in s stew and andy other way you can think of fixing them turtles. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Tom

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Nope! I've never been that hungry!

I'm not saying that I wouldn't...just that so far there has always been a McDonald's close by to settle my hungry pains!:wink:

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jeremy, I was being real protective of my one-acre pond because in a few days I was going to restock it with channel catfish and bluegills! Normally I could care less what lives in the pond...except large black snakes!

That next Friday I put about 300 two-inch channel cats and about 500 one-inch bluegills in the pond. I didn't want another snapping turtle to join in at the food trough!:smile2:

Thank you very much for the excellence information about how to process a snapping turtle! I have now bookmarked that link so that I can find it...should I ever get brave enough to try again!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

17. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well we routinely eat the guts of animals(liver and sausage casings).We routinely eat unborn and dead animals (Eggs,chicken and all meats).We routinely eat animals that PREFER to feed on feces when they are available (Hogs and Chickens).And unless they have stopped it,Dairy and Beef Cattle were routinely fed a percentage of their feces with their daily feed.A Grey Squirrel will eat anything that a rat will,including rotting flesh and a human finger.This is experience talking,not hearsay.I eat them all so I see no reason not to eat a Coyote.I was just wondering about the taste.

Also.Turtles often eat rotted fish.I have known folks who regularly ate all kinds to keep them in clean water for two weeks and flush them out just as they did wild caught hogs.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.

18. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I will admit that I haven't read many of the messages on this Turtle Forum...so this question may have already been answered a hundred times. If so please bear with me!

It seems everyone agrees that a smapping turtle makes a fine meal. What about the common red slider? Does anyone eat them?

I've got some real large ones in my pond!:eek:oooh:

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Bill.Some of the old Folk on the Santee use to eat them and Soft shell.They would keep them for two weeks and feed them greens(yep Greens) for the slider and fresh fish.The water must be kept clean.This is to flush them out as they will eat rotted fish and will taste as such.I kept mine in a Live Carr made of a old boat or cage in the lake like Catfish and Carp as the water must be kept clean.I would wire fresh fish or fresh fish scraps in the cage.They must have a place to crawl out and sun as their shell will eventually get soft.Also shade as Sun heated shallow hot water will kill them.I learned this the hard way!

I caught turtles,trapped fish,coons,rabbits and Possums to sell as I lived on the lake.All this was legal in the 50's on the Santee.I also "flushed out"possums in cages on order.I sold the newly hatched turtles to the pet departments in the dime stores in Columbia & Charleston SC.I made my own spending money these ways and any other way that was legal.I was not allow to break the law.Legal or moral.I literally had a "Huck Fin" lifestyle in my years there and in Naples Florida.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I forgot to mention.

We have the Common Snapper here.They will eat water grass.I have seen them in my cages.I also saw one eating the lush grass on the bank at a Golf Course ditch one time.

I fed my turtles water grasses for greens.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.