snapper paralyzing technique

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by massa_jorge, Apr 21, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well anyone who has cleaned a turtle knows they claw and scratch till you get em pretty much dismembered. well i was reading the new f-f-g and it discussed a method that sounds simple enough to make em hold still while you cut em up. you cut off four inches of the end of the tail, then run a wire coat hanger up the spine. when you pull out the wire it's supposed to kill all their nerves and makes them go limp. i don't eat turtles anymore, but figured this might help some of yall that could use another turtle cleaning trick.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    That would pretty much paralyze anything wouldnt it....LOL!!

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :eek:oooh:well i for one will try this. they wont stop kicking till there in the water pan. and then when i salt the water they start up again.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you were exactly who i thought about when i read this jeremy! :smile2: be sure and post if it works or not, i'd get the ol snip snip for free if the wife caught me doing it!

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    My buddy and I caught one very large snapper years ago..he tore up my net when I netted him out of the water and I decided he was so big that we would take him home and clean him. I put him in the trunk of my car and he tried to bite through my back seat!.. We got him home and after several beers, between the two of us we got him cleaned after at least 2 hours! We had a bowl of meat that must have weighed 10 pounds. After about a month my friend and I decided to have a fish fry and fry up this turtle..unknown to me...my wife through it out saying it smelled funny!:angry::angry::angry:

6. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    If i go and catch a couple turtles ill give it a try. Thanks for the post.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man that sucks. 10 lbs at $11 value is $110 she pitched. :eek:oooh: im gonna be tossing a recipe to the diner soon. im thawing some out this week. i probably have 10lbs myself.

8. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    There is a real easy way to kill a snapper. Just whack him on the end of the nose. It doesn't take much either.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that will do it earl, but a lot of folks, me anyway, keep the skulls and this breaks it. this method is supposed to keep it from scratching heck out of you while you cut it up as well.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    thanks for the tip rick

11. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Does this paralyze the jaws as well??

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'm sure it does, but as a precautionary measure i would chop the head off anyway.

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    My Dad and Grandfather used to trap tutles to help put money in their pocket and food on the table .... I have helped clean hundreds of both snappers and softshells ... their cleaning method was to take a large pair of pliers ... grab the lower jaw ... another person would put a foot on the turtles back ... pull the neck out as far as possible and chop the head off with a hatchet. They would then hang the turtle with a piece of cord by the tail over the fence and let it bleed out. They usually were cleaning a dozen or more turtle at a time. By the time they finished with the last one the first one had bled out. They had a large pot of boiling water ... they would take the still thrashing headless turtle by the cord on their tail and dunk it into the boiling water for a couple minutes and the turtle would stop thrashing and they could proceed with the skinning and butchering.

I just got out the other a couple of the old mesh traps and might just see about setting a couple of them this spring. Garry-

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That dont always work either. One time a friend and i had a huge snapper we kept in clean water for a couple of weeks to clean it out. I teased this thing and showed off my "expert handling tekniques" the whole time. we cleaned it and got it soaking in salt water. I went outside to clean up the mess, and i shoveled all the mess together with my hands and the *%^$#@*& clamped on to my finger. I shook it off so hard that when the head flew off and he lost his grip, we heard it's jaws snap shut. the thing went flying across the parking lot next door. I didnt bother it anymore !

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I notice that you fellows are in Alligator Snapper land.We have the common Snapper in South East Georgia.They,unlike the Alligator Snapper have a very long neck like a Solftshell.A very common last word heard here from the Alligator Snapper folks when warned is."I been catching snappers all of my life" as they latch on to a common snapper all the while ignoring your warning!Now I have to admit that they become blood brothers with these turtles as they bond and become one quickly.Yep.They are impressive.Are all of you Alligator Snapper catchers that hard headed and vocal?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    haha! hey peewee i am not vocal at all, especially when handling a snapper. they command respect while being handled, that's for sure. i grew up in gator snapper country, but it's all commons up here. in my opinion, commons are more dangerous, and have a better reach. softshells, though, are just plain mean, slick, and don't calm down as quick as a snapper. i have seen a softshell nip a guy's knuckles while he was holding both back legs! good stuff. when i was a kid and i caught my first leatherback, i thought it didn't have a beak since i saw those fleshy lips, and didn't take it too seriously. not until it cut a piece of my finger out that is! i handle venomous snakes, hard biting turtles, and all kinds of stuff that bites every summer, mostly during my shows for the boy scouts. you won't hear me brag, ever, about my 'superior handling skills', especially in front of a group of impressionable young boys!