Snapper Grabblin'

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Redd, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've been meaning to post this for awhile, since there's some members interested in catching snappers by other means than rod and reel. This way only requires a bag strong enough that one of those cranky critters can't rip through (I use a heavy duty mesh bag) and a long stick (broom handle, branch, ect).

I'll keep the bag dangling from a tree branch on the bank, but you might come up with a handier way to do it. Then I'll take my stick and start into the pond. Feel with the stick and your feet through the mud. As soon as you hit something hard, stomp on it with your foot, holding it down. Once you realize it's a rock, move on...lol Anyway, once you find your turtle, feel with the stick which end is the head. They might bite it, or you can base the decision by the different feel of the shell in the front. Now this is where it might turn some of you off. Reach down in the water, and pick the snapper up by the base of the tail. Sometimes they'll tuck it under and alongside their shell, so you might have to run your fingers through the mud and alongside it's back end to find it. Just remember to keep your foot stomped on the turtle at all times. Once picked up, KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR LEG!!! Sorry about the caps, but I can't stress that enough.
    I'll carry the big ol' brute to the bag dangling from a tree limb, and put him in, head first. He'll bite the bag, then drop the back end of him in the rest of the way, while his mouth is preoccupied. Hang it back on the tree limb, and return to the water for another.

When in the pond, I'll keep a weather eye out for bubbles rising to the surface. That's usually one digging himself through some mud. And I'll use the stick to probe through bushes, weeds, and brush. They're kind of like flathead in that way. Usually like to relate to structure. And do realize, you might be in water chest deep when you find one. Those are the unfortunate times you have to go underwater to get 'em. But I've found them in as shallow as ankle deep water after a heavy rain, burrowing through mud. I also probably wouldn't go at night, because the inability to see well, and they're also generally nocturnal, therefore, not holed up somewhere where it's the easiest to get them.

Once the day is done, and you're heading back home, don't clean them just yet. Have an old wash tub or small stock tank handy to put them in. I use an old kitchen sink, myself (but that will only hold one big one or two mediums, unfortunately). Cage up the top, and fill it with fresh water. (Note: these turtles can climb! So be sure you have wire over the top aswell.) Change the water regularly, until it's no longer getting muddied by the turtle. That'll clean out his system and should taste much better.

I hope this strikes some interest in grabblin' snappers. It's, in my opinion, the funnest way to spend a hot summer afternoon out at the farm when the fish ain't biting. And maybe this could help some of you with your turtle problem aswell. Good luck to ya'll, and happy grabblin'!

-Red

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Redd, You have just reasured me that everything I thought about you was true, LOL!!!
    YOU "ARE" CRAZY, LMAO!!!
    (sorry about the caps but, I can't stress it enough, LOL!!!)
    Your cheese has slid off your cracker!!!!

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    redd you just might be my hero lol:big_smile_2:

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think I'll watch from The bank. Thank you very much!

You don't like your fingers and toes very much do you?

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    LMAO, JW!!! But I guess everybody needs reassurance every now and then...:cool2:

-Red

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    But did you have to put it so boldly, LOL???
    No beating around the bush that time, LMAO!!!

7. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    after the one i got done what it did to my steel leader this morning no thank u. how much u charge to come and do it. cause that is one thing i would have to see in real life

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you are more man than i

9. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    when are we gonna go. That sounds like fun.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Redd, do you know how to get them to release if they have grabbed ya? You should carry this thing with you at all times if handling turtles like this. Now, ya really wanna be careful when carrying them bad boys that they don't grab the IMPORTANT leg. Sorry for my large letters there, but that's the real IMPORTANT leg. I have seen them take guys ears off trying to sling them over their shoulder once their in the bag. Whatever turns ya on Redd, go for it.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    redd,redd,redd you need to take a vacation come to arkansas and let me straitin up your head.you gonna lose a foot sure as im setting here typing.

12. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    C'mon now, guys...I HAVE my boots on when I'm in the water... And I'll tell ya who the crazy ones are...that'd be the noodlers sticking their hands in holes that might hold a snapper OR a beaver... and with no stick to tell which end is the head..lol This really isn't as dangerous as ya'll are making it out to be. Don't knock it 'less you tried it! Surely this tactic has interrested somebody out there. Anyway, I haven't been bitten once (knock on wood). Just can't leave room for extreme carelessness, is all.

-Red

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'll side with red on this one, it isn't that dangerous if you know what you're doing. on the old board i had some pics up of some really nice snappers i caught by hand. the common snappers are easier for me to control if i hold the tail and a back leg. you can also hold the middle of the plastron and the turtle will hold on to your arm with his back legs.
    some folks just can't get it out of their mind, that big head shooting up over the shell to take a chunk out of you! haha.

14. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i agree Redd its a blast of a way to kill time when the fish aint biting and the meat MMMM GOOOOD turtle tenderloin mmm good

15. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Never have done that but I live in Florida and i know a spot where ya'll could bring your boots and broom sticks and clean out some gators with that grabbin technique.

16. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    sounds like fun ill have to get my buddie to try:wink:

17. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    im a turtle grabber and kat nabber :big_smile: it truely is the best of both worlds :big_smile:

18. Larry69

Larry69 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I live on a lake in Central Florida, and there is a point where the grass has grown out over the water pretty thick. One night I was walking out there on the grass doing some fishing when I felt a hill. Pulled away the grass and it was a pretty good sized snapper. Walked around a bit more and pulled out another but it was a coot or slider or whatever they're called. And I was barefoot. Brought them around the lake to the back of the condo and took some pics then released them. But man, where they stinky! I always catch softshells out in the lake, and they don't really stink too much, but these things just stunk to high heaven and so did the mud or whatever it was they were in too. Probably full of turtle poop. :smile2:

What I don't really understand is how the flushing affects the meat? I mean, it's not like the muscle tissue is full of poop, is it?

19. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    redd you are one crazy son of a gun!!! as a matter of fact snapping turtles (and texas state laws) are the only things that keep me from grabblin, i read in an OL magazine a couple weeks ago, some old timer who sticks his hand in holes, doesnt even use his foot he just sticks his hands in holes and feels if theres turtle slide marks, then either grabs em right behind the head or he grabs them on the tail.. either way yall are both CRAZY!!!!

20. Larry69

Larry69 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Here's the one I stepped on and pulled out of the grass. He scratched me up while carrying him back to the condo to get the pictures.

Is there a size that is preferred for eating turtles, not only with regards to the taste, but also taking their breeding habits into consideration? Should the really large ones be left alone to produce more or have they stopped breeding by the time they've gotten that large?

Attached Files: