Snap Swivels: Dependable or Not

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by DJH1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is there any chance that the snap on the end of a leader or snap swivel will straighten out or come loose with a big fish on?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The only way I use a snap swivle is when I use a three way slip rig. I use it for my dropper line for my weight! I don't trust them for the business end of my line!

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Joey, I've used them for years without any problems. The type I use are the black, ballbearing with the positive lock ends (they have the little hook on the locking end) . I use the ones rated for 70#. I've never had one pull open with a fish on. Fish up to 30# were landed with no problem. I use them on the end of my main line to attach the 3 way swivel. For still fishing I just use a plain barrel swivel.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    JW know's what he's talking about(sometimes):smile2:, and I share the same beliefs. I use them for the sinker, but never as a direct connection with the fish.

5. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I use them for shark fishing in the surf. But, only because I use 6-8 foot leaders that are hard to store on the rod. And, the ones I use are rated for 400 pounds. I use Carolina Rigs for catfishing and I have no need for a snap swivel.

I have had snap swivels straighten out on bottom rigs while surf fishing. It never ceases to amaze me how 5 foot sharks will hit my bait rods with little pieces of shrimp.

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    dont trust them for big fish at all when a large cat throws its head at the top of the water something is going to give in that snap . think of it this way take a 16 lb bowling ball and pick it up and drop it a couple times and see if the snap swivel holds up to the test.

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They are apt to fail on a heavy fish.When I do use them it is the ones on steel leaders for saltwater fishing.Clamping the latch tightly over the wire helps a lot.
    Jake

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I totally agree. On the other hand I avoid them totally other than using them for my weights. I use a small swivel that has the straight snap, not the better wrap around kind. This way it straightens out and the weight comes off only.

-Jim-

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The only type of snap swivel I would consider using where I might hang a big fish is the type Catfish Fever mentioned. I've had the regular (cheap) type straighten out from casting with a large sinker hung on it. As far as that goes, if you're using Wal Mart type swivels with no snaps, make sure you use large ones. I molded some swivels into the ends of some large (6-8 oz) bell sinkers, and had a lot of trouble with them coming apart on the cast. My Do-It mold isn't designed to accept a swivel large enough to take the strain. Now I just use a piece of wire in place of the swivel.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There is a brand named "Sampo" that we use down here for H.D. Saltwater fishing, they have true ball bearings in them & are available in both regular metal composition as well as Stainless steel.

They are rather $$$, so I won't use 'em if I'm expecting snags, HTH, Elliot

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I never have used them . I use large barrels or 3-ways depending on the set up. I guess if you used ones big enough they might be ok. I just never have needed them.:cool2:

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    heres another ??? how mutch sinker weight do you guys trust the cheep brass snap swivels to heave? i made some sinker slides out of some 1/0 brass snap swivels that i have yet to try and i got to thinking im gonna be using alot of weight i wonder if they are gonna keep snaped or send a pound of lead flying in who knows what direction.

13. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Like some of the other post say I've used the cheaper ones for sinkers and hooks years ago and they came unfastened or pulled lose. I don't know about the ones that are better made and cost more.

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I just use the barrel type rated for 50- 75 pound with no problems. I've been using them for years.

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I would not recommend using them if you are after larger fish. I have one straighten out on me and I quit using them. It could have been because I didn't check to make sure the snap was closed completely. Either way, I missed the fish. I will still use them when channel cat fishing sometimes when I'm trying different hooks.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've never used them, just don't look trust worthy to me for bigger blues. If your after smaller channel cats then they wouyld probably hold up.

17. MikeonWabash

MikeonWabash New Member

State:
    Grayville, Illinois
    I would never use them on my main line because to me it is just one more thing to go wrong when you hook that fish of a lifetime, but my fishing partner has used them for years and not had any trouble that I know of.

18. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I wouldn't trust it on the main line to the hook. Maybe on another leader for the sinker with lighter test . I have seen a few straighten out.

19. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never, they have popped on me many times I just stopped using them.

20. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They work great for weights but I don't trust them on my main line.