Snap swivel test ratings... how much will they hold?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by dixiedrifter, Jun 11, 2006.

1. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like to use snap swivels. My fave rig uses quite a few of them, simply because it saves a lot of time tying knots. I was wondering... how are snap swivels rated strength wise?

I know I've had a few to open up when snagged... I'd haul in an open swivel and the rest of my rig be in the drink.

All there is a number size, which tells me nothing about how much they can take before they fail. I'd prefer to use the smallest one possible for obvious reasons.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good question. I would'nt hesitate to use em for anything other than my leader to my main line. I've seen em staightened out before.

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    unless you are going for fish under 5 lbs or so i wouldn't use snap swivels... the metal that they use on them is weak enough to bend to allow the snap to work properly, it also allows fish to pull them open with enough force... If you do insist on using them... don't go for the smallest ones possible... they are made to take maybe 14 lbs of pressure (at most, some actually have it on the packaging how much they can handle supposedly)... I would go with the larger ones, usually a size 1 or 1/0 but what i do is i just remove the snap part to the swivel and use the swivel portion... its a few more knots to use just plain barrel swivels or other non snap swivels but its well worth it when you pull up a fish :)

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I said it wrong in my previous post. What I meant is that I would "NOT" use them for my leader to the main line. Shoulda previewed that one. LOL!

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The cheapest ones don't say anything on them you just guess.

The next cheapest ones have a size but not poundage.

The good ones have a pound rating on the package.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i've straightened out too many of them for me to trust over the years

7. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to use #5 or larger for catfish, the #5 is rated at 100 lbs and then goes up from there. Barrel swivels work great for heavy tackle, you can go a little smaller with them. Try out different sizes until you find the one that works for you.

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jared, Look on page 39 and 40 in the 2006 catalog from Catfish Connection. If you don't have one of their catalogs just ask them at their home page and they will send you one.

ST

9. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I think I remember seeing some pound ratings for swivels/snaps in either the Cabelas or BPS catalog.. Ya might try there...

10. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi when i buy yo yos the end of the line has a snap swivel on it it looks prity cheep do you guys think i should take the snap off or leave it as is

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Someone on the board did some testing one time of snap swivels. And if I remember correctly if you're using one the proper size for the strength rating of your line, it almost always snapped the line before ever opening the swivel. I've been fishing with them since I was a kid and have had only one straighten and that was from being snagged. Not a bad average in my opinion.

12. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That has pretty much been my experience. I was out fishing last night with a rig consisting of two three way swivels and one snap swivel. I got hung up on something and had to break my line off. One of the knots gave out on the bottom three way and left the top snap and three way swivel intact. That was just a cheap no-name walmart snap swivel and not very big ones at that (I'm thinking they were either a #5 or #7).

All in all I'd say it was a pretty durable rig, because I caught over 20 dinky blue cats on it over a period of about 8 hours below pickwick dam.

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Use the snap-lok snaps . the wire curls over to prevent opening by overlapping on itselfand will slide on together. Bottom wire an on top of upper wire. I ave never had one come open, unless snagged and bent.

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I stopped using snap swivels over 30 years cause big cats were breaking them.I do use plain swivels and 3 or 4 years ago Catfishhunter and I did some break test on 2 or 3 brands of 2/0 swivels and broke at from 112 to 132 lbs.Needless to say I stopped worrying about breaking swivels.

15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't trust snap swivels for anything other than small channels.

Eric

16. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try "coast lock" snap swivels. Heavy duty and won't pull open (or haven't yet).

17. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Agreed. Thats all that I use em' for too. Scared to lose a good fish due to terminal tackle failure. The more swivels the more extra weight and chances for failure.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jared I like the Berkley cross-lok snap swivels. Size 5 has a 80# test and Size 1 has a 150# test. Never a problem with breakage. Hope this helps.