Snakes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by agcat, Feb 23, 2006.

1. agcat

agcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Anybody ever catch snakes on their lines. Last summer we set some trotlines and I bet we had a half a dozen or more snakes on one line.

2. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i cought a snake on a pop r lol scared me

3. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Yea, I've seen alot caught on Trotlines when I was a kid running them with my Dad & Uncle. Especially when using large minnows, small bream, or goldfish for bait. Saw my Uncle one night get bit 3 times by a BIG Moccasin when he reached to grab it thinking it was a small gar in the dark before he could turn it loose. He was used to grabbing a small gar behind the head and breaking the backbone before he attempted to remove the hook. (You have to remember this was in the late 50's-early 60's).

Snakes scare the he?? out of me!:frk-big:

Frank

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Never caught one on hook and line before but have had them get in my minnow trap twice. They don't bother me any if I know they are there, I've had several snakes for pets. Although I don't care to be startled be them either. I fear Muskrats more personally.

5. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    ahahah wolfman your an evil evil man!!! i like your style lol

6. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WARNING...WARNING... WARNING...
    BEFORE THROWING SNAKES AT FOLKS THAT ARE SCARED OF THEM,, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE NO WEAPON IN THERE HAND. THE SNAKE WILL USUSALLY DIE FIRST AND THEN THE PERSON WHO THREW THE SNAKE MAY BE THE NEXT ON THE LIST.

This warning came from my dad who is beyond being terrified of snakes.

I seen my dad that is a calm peaceful man damn near take a guys head off with the sharp end of a dirt shovel one day. Dad was scared and then turned mad, really mad, actually kinda got that crazy mad look in his eye. The the guy that had thrown the snake,,, well needless to say he probably won't throw another snake at someone.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    remember the old incredible hulk tv series? how he "hulked up"? that would be be if you threw a snake of any size, dead or alive at me! honestly, i black out and go bezerk!:0a5:

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

TRUST THIS STATEMENT!!! I for one am terrified of any kind of snake! Call it an unnatural fear or whatever. The bottom line is I WILL GO BESERK, AND I USUALLY HAVE A WEAPON ON MY PERSON! :frk-big: :frk-big: :frk-big: :frk-big: :frk-big:

Wolfman, I know your kidding, but some people may actually get hurt following that advice. A short swim in the lake would not cool me off enough unless you held me underwater with the paddle until I started blowing bubbles out my bu##:) , and guns will still fire when wet!! HeyHey.

Would be a funny sight though I got to admitt.:p

Frank

9. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I have caught a couple of common water snakes while fishing with small crappie or bass minnows. It is their natural food so I don't think that it would be that uncommon to catch a snake now and then. Same thing with turtles.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats wrong. I hate snakes. If that was me , we'd be scrappin. LOL !!!:grin-big:

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I caught a bunch of little snakes on shore once while fishing a pond and I put them in a worm box as I thought I might try one for bait, but never did. We were just getting ready to leave when a friend and his wife showed up and camped out on the shore and were going to fish into the night. As we talked to them, us in the boat and them on shore, they asked if we had any bait since we were leaving. Sure, so I tossed him the two worm boxes (one with 7snakes all about 4" long) and we took off out of there heading for the boat ramp as fast as my electric trolling motor could take us. Got about 150 yards away and there was the most gosh awful screaming, cussing and dancing from that camp site as you never did want to see. Seems that when we gave them our worms (and snakes) he told his wife to sort through them as he bet there wasn't a good worm in the bunch coming from me. She put a towel across her lap sitting cross legged and dumped the first box of worms out and sorted through them and then when she dumped out the second box of "worms" those snakes started heading in all direction for freedom. How was I supposed to know she was going to do that? Was I to know that she didn't like snakes? Best part she took to beating the poop out of her husband with a stick blaming him, screaming that he was in on it. We left.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive had snakes for pets so they dont bother me much unless they come after me which ive had happen.Me and my grandfather was going to this pond and he about stepped on a cotten mouth,he was a big nasty one,well my grand father backed up and it hissed at me and actually came after me!I bet that bugger chased me 20 yards,i look back and my grandfather was laughing his butt off but at the time i didnt see the humor lol.

13. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Wolfman,
    I hear you buddy. I'm a practical joker from way back & have done some that were awful close to being down right mean. Put a pair of teenage daughters panties in a buddys glove box where his wife would find them, etc.

But when it comes to snakes I get crazy! I got bit by a rattler when I was 9 years old. It was what you might call a "learning experience". I'm not afraid of them when I can see them, it's the surprise that gets me! And I do react.

When I was in Viet Nam on stand down at a fire base a "Buddy" of mine threw a boa constrictor on me while I was severely ineberated to say the least. :mad: Well he should have checked what was near me first because I grabbed a entrenching tool killed the snake and knocked out some of his teeth.:mad: Fortunely some other guys pulled me off before I really hurt him. The bad thing was he knew how terrified I was of snakes and several guys told him not to do it, anyway He never did that again. Not to long after that I shot up a tent over a green tree snake (kind of looked like what we called a "Two Step" snake, some kind of viper that once bitten you made about 2 steps before you died!

Anyways, your right. It is an abnormal fear & just can't control it.:eek:

Frank

14. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Wolfman your Granny sounds like my favorite aunt! "Auntie" just turned 92 this past Oct and still just as sharp and fiesty as she ever was! My Uncle Pat used to "drink hard" sometimes, well anyway one night they got in a disagreement over something & she (5'2" & 170#) pretty well kicked his a$$.:)

My dad (her younger brother) showed up about 5am to get Pat and go run nets and he was sitting in the corner with a shotgun across his knees pretty much scared to death from what Dad told me. Auntie was sitting at the kitchen table with his 45 Colt and would not let him get up. Uncle Pat told Dad "Your sister is crazy as hell, help me get out of here alive". Took Dad a while to calm her down, but one thing Uncle learned the hard way is don't hit her! That never happened again! They were married 62 years when he died. Always figgered they were good for each other, no one else could have put up with either one! You gotta remember this was in about 1955 was no such thing as Police getting involved in a family dispute. Besides I personally don't think they could have taken her myself!:)

Frank

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Down south,snake in the boat,is often pronounced "snakeinaboat".Yup,real loud,and as one word.Very common,if you fish around or under limbs.All will bite,but most are not poison.The best way to handle all,is to flip the snake out of the boat,with a paddle.I will not be a party to,or allow some one to destroy my equipment,or kill me or my family,over their fear and panic.Believe me,people in a panic,will and often do kill others,along with themselves.I will not knowingly get in a boat with someone like this.I will fish with you off the bank.Twice in my life,I have fended some one in the water off.Both times they were panicked and attemped to turn my boat over,without thought or reason.I got them both ashore,my way.For me,or me and my child to die with them,would be useless.I think that all of us have something that we can not handle.For some,it is beer.For some,it is snakes.If we cain;t handle it,we should stay away from it.We don;t have the right to allow it to kill.I respeck thier fear.I will not willingly die for it.peewee-williams

16. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    All you guys that think that these practical jokes are funny, well I see no humor in them. I'm terrified of snakes and seen a woman have a heart attack from a practical joke. Camping one weekend when i was little and this guy told this kid to take this snake and show it to some lady they were camping with.They were camping next too us. Well the kid did and the lady was terrified of it and apparently had a heart attack. Park rangers rushed her to the hospital. Don't know what the out come was. I bet that guy felt really good. I love practical jokes and play them all the time on my son and my brother. But there are limits.
    Some one try that crap on me. Well what happens after that is your own fault.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree on the jokes.If the butt of a joke,does not think it is funny,it is not a joke.It is cruel.It is something that you should be ashamed of.I have been ashamed of some of the jokes that I have pulled.I did not think or know before hand,that it would hurt.Telling someone that you are sorry,does not take away the hurt.peewee-williams

18. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Quote:
    And practical jokes are normaly something a person is deathly afraid of or it just really bothers them.

Subjecting someone who is deathly afraid of something is not a joke. Wrapping a rubberband around the sprayer on a sink so when my son or I turn it on we get wet. A harmless joke. Pouring a pitcher of water on to my brothers head from a second story window is a funny harmless joke. But if someone who knows how I feel about snakes thinks it would be funny to throw one on me, well like I said... it won't be my fault for what happens next.
    Whats a joke for one doesn't mean it's a joke for another.

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im a practical joker myself, but i have learned the hard way a couple times about how some folks will react to things. some people just have a simple phobia about being startled for some reason. i met this guy last fall at school and startled him one day and he just flipped out, pulled a knife on me and tried to stabb me. luckily i was quicker on my feet on was able to make him snap out of it. he had the shakes for a while, was crying, and kept apologizing, but he said he couldnt help it, he just blacked out. im the same way if you joke around me with snakes, REAL OR FAKE! i had a freind by the throat a few years back when he threw a dead 8-inch snake on me at a pond, and (hate to say it) but took a swing at my mom when she threw a fake one at me last year, they didnt realize how bad i had the phobia! like i said, im a joker too but be careful...