snakes???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River_monster91, Jun 6, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ive got a question for all of us kansas guys. ive been told that it gets to cold in kansas for water moccisins, but i swear to god ive seen em. i know a handfull of people that said they would bet money that kansas has no water moccisins. any of yall ever seen one?

2. Joe4BigCats

Joe4BigCats New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kans
    I have seen a few of them in the Big Blue while fishing in the last couple of year's here:cool2:.. They never have tried to come on shore and bother though..:wink: I did get the chance of meeting a baby copperhead one time.. I spent 3 day's in ICU because of that meeting.. LOL

3. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    Hey if you want to make some money off of these fellows we can round up a sack full of them down here and turn them loose where they like to fish so they can see them.:wink:

4. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Although water mocassins are reportedly rare in Kansas, I'm one of those people that stays away from ALL snakes. Probably inherited from my mother. Whenever she found a snake she chopped it into little pieces with a hoe.

From http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/wldlf2/L864.pdf

Cottonmouth ​
    (Agkistrodon piscivorus).Length: 3 to 4 feet. The poisonous water moccasin has rarely been captured in extreme southeast Kansas. The many general reports of water moccasins are cases of harmless water snakes common throughout most of Kansas being mistakenly identified.

5. carp 5O

carp 5O New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Northern Water Snakes,, only extreme SE Kansas has doucumented WM and that was suspect from what I have heard.

6. jparr04

jparr04 New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    carp50 is right...Water mocassins (cottonmouths) a poorly documented, even from the far southeast corner of Kansas. A lot of the water snakes can look pretty similar like the northern water snake or the plainbelly....I've seen a lot of people mistake them out at the lakes here in Northeast KS.

7. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

i live in leavenworth kansas and i've seen them in the missouri river alot growing up. ive also been to tonganoxie state fishign lake and seen them. i was walking yesterday along side some railroad tracks and ran into a snake not sure what kind but it was there lol.

8. toby24

toby24 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I live in the south east corner of kansas and i have seen them but never very often.

9. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I would wonder if the snakes aren't slowly moving North.
    Never had a armadillo in the Central part of the state (Great Bend) growing up and now they are becoming more common.

10. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've seen a couple over the years down here in Osage county. Ugly suckers!

11. jparr04

jparr04 New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    I wouldn't be suprised to see them moving north gradually, especially if we have a few years of real mild winters.
    Tyler, you probably saw the Northern Water Snake here in Leavenworth. I'm from Lansing, and have fished around here my whole life. Cottonmouths aren't close to being native here...and the Missouri river probably has a bit too much current for them since they're more of a marsh or slow creek snake. No need to fish in fear up here!

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Seen a lot of snakes in Kansas, but never a Cotton mouth. Did get the pleasure of sharing a mud hole with one while hog hunting in Mississippi a couple of years ago..........nasty ugly looking snake!! I was wading through a low water crossing when I heard a slash real close to my left leg, I looked down to find a coiled up cotton mouth about 3 feet away. Now this is where my lack of overall common sense comes into play.............do I slowly back away from the nasty beast like most intelligent folk would do...................NO, I'm thinking HATBAND!!! So I pull an arrow out of my quiver, yes I'm going to try and hit something 2" in diameter with a projectile that is 5/16" in diameter while standing knee deep in a mud hole next to a poisonous reptile, anyway I make this impressive 3' shot on said creature and it flips over on it's back and just lays there!! I'm all puffed up because I think I just took his head off with the broadhead, pretty awesome considering the circumstances.........that and I was going to tell everyone in camp it was a 20 yard shot:wink:. So I pull the arrow out of the mud and use it to flip the snake over, that "dead" snake flipped and came up with that "I'm pissed" tongue flicking thing going on. That's when I remember my buddy telling me those snakes will play possum, good thing to know by the way. I briefly see a small cut of about a 1/2" just behind the snake head, I say briefly brothers because I truly believe I walked on water that day in the Mississippi swamps...........never did get my hatband.

All that said, no I've never seen one in Kansas.

13. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    yea all i know if i see a snake near me it dies. i dont like little things that crawl around camp and nite and scare the bejezes outa you when you gotta pee!!! just aint my thing lol

14. carp 5O

carp 5O New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Center 12, that post broght back memories of a Northern Water Snake I shot with my bow while bowfishing in NE a long time ago. It surfaced just off shore and I took a shot. The snake vanished and all I could see was four inches of arrow sticking out of the lake. Almost certiain I had missed and not really expecting to hit it, I reached down and began pulling on the arrow shaft. Suddenly about two foot of lower snake half flips out of the water and drapes across my wrist. After two minutes of hopping around like a school girl with a cricket in her dress I pulled the arrow in to find I had actually hit the critter just below the head. I have never seen a cotton mouth but from what southern folk describe I bet you never confuse the two species once you have seen a cotton mouth up close.

15. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    anyone got pictures of a cottonmouth?

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Aaron, that's funny.........would have brought on a warm wet sensation running down my leg!!

I've shot at a bunch while bowfishing, but have never hit one........think subconsciously I know I'll have to get the arrow out, think my brain figures a near miss is better for me. I've hit those tiny little spotted gar that make a Big Chief pencil look huge so I'm sure snake poking is just a mental thing........I have lots of those:eek:oooh:

17. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
  18. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I don't mind walking around snakes. I prefer to keep enough distance that identifcation isn't an issue. However--when I'm walking through tall grass at SNAKE LAKE, then step into a covey of quail-----------well let's just say it's a good way to test your body functions!!

19. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    eh dont know if it was a cottonmouth but i seen a big blackish colored snake about 4-5 ft long at a sandpit. i sure thought it was poision but i dont know

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    These snakes Im seeing close to the water around these NE Kansas lakes, what are they , and are they poisonous?