Snakes

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by lroyal, Sep 7, 2007.

1. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey yall. I need to get me a few snakes befor it gets cold. rattle snakes preferably. wanting to know the best way to go about this. i have a teacher that told me he would buy the hides for 20 bucks a pop. he uses them for makein custome knife sheaths and stuff. any info would help. thanks

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Lee, Welcome to the BOC, I can't be of any help but there will be no shortage of responses.

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    My advice to you is this:
    If you don't know anything about snakes, especially rattlesnakes you would be smart to leave them alone!

Eric

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Where is your location and what is your age?Does he want live,dead whole,dead headless,green,whole,green headless,tanned whole or tanned headless? There is all the difference in the world.Everywhere you bruise that hide you will have a hole in it when tanned.Very thin skins.Hard to kill without damaging the skin.They are getting hard to find.There are easier and better ways to make legal money now that they are scarce.Safer too.I live in Pembroke Ga.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    be careful. that being said the only way i can think of to get them is a shotgun with very fine shot, maybe even a .22? do you have rattlers in Ga? i know in VA we have the canebrake. its like a timber rattler, but thats different from the "western ones."

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good to have you aboard!!! :big_smile:

Watch out about killing snakes...You may get your head bit off for killing them...Just read the thread about 30 snakes in an hour...That'll give you an idea! I don't care what you do but lots of people will start arguments over it...:eek:oooh::confused2:

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Just send them to me John!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I am a snake owner. If your teacher wants a skin e-bay is a good place. You can choose your skin, and you don't have to do any useless killing. Don't kill unless you plan to eat it or your life is in immediate danger. That doesn't mean to piss one off so you can kill it. My buddy Jason saved me from a beautiful rattler last year out bow hunting. We were walking down an over grown dirt road as dusk. I felt him grab my shoulder and pull me back. He told me to look down and 6in below my boot as I saw a 5ft rattler. I didn't see him and he didn't see me. But we almost met. I moved my boot in the other direction and squated down for a better look. Jason wanted to kill it but I wouldn't let him. He wasn't going to eat it. So I coaxed the snake off the road and we went home. Don't kill to earn brownie points with a teacher thats unethical and very dangerous.If you want to take a chance of getting stuck go give blood you get money and the stick wont put you in the ER.

9. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the reason i wanted rattle snakes is so i could eat them. i dont want to kill somethin just for money. i just figured i could make some money and get a good meal at the same time. my teacher says he will tan them he just wants me to skin em.

10. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    oh btw i live in dooly county in a little town called lilly peewee

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    All I can do is, set here reading this and shake my head!!!!!

If you have to look for them or ask where to find them, they are not bothering you. If they are not bothering you "Why Kill Them"!!!
    I will never understand this mentality.
    Maybe you teacher is scared to do it himself, that should tell you something. Beware, you might just find one after it finds you!!!! They don't always rattle that tail to warn you of their presents!!!

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    EATING SNAKES:

“The Texas Snakeman,” holds in his mouth ten 2 ft. 6-inch-long western diamondback rattlesnakes for 12.5 seconds without any assistance to set a new Guinness World Record for Most Live Rattlesnakes Held In Mouth.

I’m glad he has passion about something, but sheesh!

I'd think they would taste better if you skinned them first...:wink:

Attached Files:

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Now thats something you don't see everyday. Everyone sees a lot of idiots everyday but not with snakes hanging out of their mouth:smile2:. Thanks for the pic Troy.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I gotcha on your location.I believe that I went there with someone in 1961 for a funeral.I noticed that you did not give your age.The reason I asked is that unless you are 18,I will not help anyone do anything that I believe their parents or guardian might disapprove of without asking them first.The same rules apply to my grandchildren and asking their parents who are my children.I do not kill,catch or handle snakes anymore.It is legal for you to catch and kill poisonous snakes in Georgia with a hunter safety course certificate,license if needed and guardian and landowners permission.I would use a long stiff pole to search with.Also to hold it down with while you cut a snakes head off with a machete after you think you have killed it.As for eating it.I personally think that you can find a lot of road kill that taste better including cats and dogs.Rattler does taste better than Cotton mouth to me.That is all that I can say for it.I would spend my time hunting Squirrels or woods rats first.Your local friends that you go to school with will know more about the best location for snakes in your area.I love you brother.peewee

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

I agree! If you're gonna hunt them for the meat I can understand...but my humble opinion is that snake skins are most beautiful when they on a live and healthy snake...

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never in my life did I ever think I'd say Snake lovers and Fishermen in the same sentance,This is outrageously funny to me.

17. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    He's right, on all counts.
    I have personally caught and handled timber rattlesnakes that didn't rattle at all.

18. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    PeeWee im 18 my b-day is may 11

19. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The owner of the company work for was a snake wrangler. Maybe you should talk to him and ask his opinion. While you are at it ask him why his thumb is right angled. Not backwards or down but to the side, 90 degrees. The answer, a rattle snake bit him. And he was trained on how to handle a venomous snake. If you aren't familiar with a hemotoxin it rots you skin and flesh. You will swell up to the point that your skin will literally split open while your flesh is being eaten by the vemon. Check out some pics and see if you really want to tangle with a poisonous snake. If you want something that tastes like a rattle snake. Go to the grocery store and buy a chicken. Cut it in strips you wont be able to tell the difference. They wont bite you and put you in the hospital. And just to let you know sucking on the wound wont get the venom out. especially if you try to cut it like the old snake kits say. You will make it worse. A tourniquet wont do you and good either. And if you do go to the hospital you are looking at several thousand dollars for anti venom. And you don't get just one shot it might take up to 30 viles. And just because he is dead doesn't mean that you can't be invenomated. Is it really worth it? I, along with thousands of other people, don't think so.

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well out georgia way i would not mess with the rattlers at all. yall have the canebrake rattlers, timbers, and easten diamondbacks, all of which are on the decline due to poor harvest or senseless killing. that being said, i support the responsible harvest of any wildlife resource, rattlers included. where i live, there are plenty western diamondbacks and prairie rattlers. most of the time when i see them i walk along watching them until they go down a prairie dog hole or some other cover. i keep a few in the freezer so i have supplies to make stuff out of, but not more than i need. as for killing something and not eating it being a bad thing, i have to disagree on one point. i kill hundreds of prairie dogs out here in the tx panhandle, along with coyotes, skunks, badgers and porcupines. the rattlesnakes i kill do not get eaten. plenty of outdoorsmen make a living for their families by the blood of furbearers, and you can bet your bottom dollar no one is grilling coyote steaks tonight or having skunk stir fry. i do think however that in your area the rattlesnake population has been almost totally decimated, and the species you have are not as prolific as the ones out west. also, there isn't much meat to a rattlesnake. they have a slower metabolic rate than, say, a rat snake and might not eat as much. good luck in whatever direction you go with this, and above all, be safe!