Snakes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Peanut ridge Kid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Peanut ridge Kid

Peanut ridge Kid New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hello everyone,

I need a little help. Can anyone tell me where on the net has the best Info about Cotton Mouths and Banded water snakes. I am a little confused. I can tell the big one apart, It's the baby's a I have a hard time with.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia

3. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i know most of the snakes in my area, but IMHO any snake within striking distance, is a dead snake. well, other than rattlers because we have massasaugas here and their protected.

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    theres a ton of snakes in the lake i fish, i think they are just watersnakes. never had one take a second glance at me.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Peanut ;thats way to much information.I'm only scared of two kinds of snakes.THE BIG ONES AND THE LITTLE ONES so identification is not necessary!!!!!!!Run is the best way to identify them.:big_smile::lol::wink:

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Go to google and look at the pix for them both Hope this helps!!

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    no snake is ever within strikin distance of me.. cuz when i see or hear them i RUN!!!

8. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Best way to tell them apart that I found is by the tip of their tail. Baby cottonmouths have a yellow/greenish tip to attract prey. Like this.

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Cotton Mouths are not consistent in markings or color. They are very poison and no matter what someone says I have found them to be very aggressive.

I have a good many Copperheads here on my property and unlike the Cotton Mouths they are docile as long as you don't happen to step on one.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Terry thanks for sharing. Marked it to my favorites and E-Mailed to some friends. Good Information.:lol::smile2:

11. Peanut ridge Kid

Peanut ridge Kid New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies and the pictures. I am also afraid of snakes, but I love to fish and if it ain't a Cotton Mouth then we will fish on. Me and My Fishing Buddy(my son James) we are bank fisherman because the Bank won't help me buy a boat. So we look for all the great bank spots and we have been run off by snakes being there. We just want to make sure we can tell the diffrence between the two snakes. Now we can so we won't go back to that hole and fish no mo. Thanks again
    :cool2:

12. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    They aint but two kind of snakes I DONT like...Living and Dead ones! Sorry they all look like mush after I've dealt with them....

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Snakes feed on fish and the more snakes the more fish!