snakes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by stoney53, Mar 27, 2009.

1. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    anyone have a way to keep snakes out of buldings ? i get them in my garage all summer mainly blacksnakes which arent to bad but i get copperheads also , i can do without them i have sealed up every hole etc that i could find i was wondering if there is some kind of trap or chemical or whatever i could use to keep them away thanks for any help

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i have always heard u can take moth balls an put them down around building ,that will keep snakes away,thats hearsay i,ve never done it myself

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i thought about that myself paul lol but wouldnt that just make more holes lol

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Get 'em in the Jacobsons organ. Yepper you get this organ and you got no snakes. Snakes smell things in their wanderings. They are obviously looking for something to eat or a place to bed down or looking for a new girlfriend cause their wife kicked then out. there are some proprietory products easily found on the good 'ol internetty. They wipe out this Jacobsons organ or at least confuse it greatly. Very unpleasant to them, those snakes, like the smell of your brother-in-laws feet. Should keep them at bay.

Can't help you with your brother-in-law though.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oops...bad post...sorry. :embarassed:

7. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

we use hedge balls "dont know if they are called anything else" but they seems to repel spiders and stuff but im not to sure about snakes. never hurts to try? :wink:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

To some of you that might not know,They are also called "osage oranges" or "Horse apples" They are from the osage orange tree known as "Hedge tree":wink:

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I put out bait bars to kill the rats and mice along with the moth balls. Moth balls don't bother the rats and mice around here.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Richard is that what some people call a bodock tree?

11. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I've always used moth balls they seem to work pretty well. Also if you keep your grass mowed short snakes don't like that either.

12. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Richard here they are called (Hedge Apples) :roll_eyes:
    Frank you might try sprinkling cayenne pepper around the garage on outside :crazy: if you don't have any little kids.

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    That is a definate problem d the I had snakes under my house, and I used moth balls and a old timer told me to put, lime powder around the foundation, like you would pour line around and he said that would burn there bellies, I tried both and the snake problem was gone, In my case I had a crawl space, so the rain would wash it away, you might try to get a line maker for a ball diamond if it works for you , so it doesnt take long to spread and it is a solid line. if that doesnt work get some king snakes they ll get rid of the copperheads

14. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    worry about the mice and rats, you get rid of them the snakes will go away. if it is that bad do some research, find some kingsnakes in your area and move them under tour house. they are harmless but eat other snakes like copperheads.

15. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Get a cat. That will solve your problem.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One in the same.:wink: